Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting License? Extended Archery Seasons? More Archery LEH's?

Re: Bowhunting License? Extended Archery Seasons? More Archery LEH's?

What is the purpose of Alberta's $9.20 additional fee for the privilege of using a bow?

what would be the purpose for BCs bow fee??
    Last edited by Gateholio; 03-06-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Like I said in the other thread. If they need to know how many bowhunters are in BC. Simply out a check box with "Do you plan to bowhunt thid year?" On the paper work when purchasing a license.

There's no need for extra fees.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Alberta bowhunting permit is $9.20 lots of other places you must buy a bowhunting permit. With proper utilization of archery seasons giving opportunity hunters don't have a problem paying it
    But whats the point of it? To find out how many people use bows?
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

We pay enough to enjoy our sport . Every day there seems to be another cash grab why would you pay more for no reason . If I had to pay to hunt with a bow I would . I love it that much . But I would like some thing from the govt to show why I would be paying . Better seasons ,more opertunity for different animals . The money back into habitat some thing like that .

Alberta also has "bowzones" which contain thousands and thousands of acres for bow only.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

There already is a check box on the license for bowhunters to check. It just doesn't get checked !

I do not bow hunt and do not have any desire to. I respect the guys that do it and will stand up for their rights as hunters, although I'll tease them every chance I get.

I do not agree with any further fees for hunting, or enjoying any part of BC or Canada for that matter. We're fee'd & taxed enough and the proceeds aren't managed to our benefit.

We already check off a box for bowhunting, I trust bowhunters. That is enough for Gov stats.

Same seasons for all. I don't mind youth/rookie seasons though, have to promote the sport somehow.

Yes please! More license fees! More regulations! More restrictions! While we're at it, let's make a bow safety/bowhunting course mandatory! And let's restrict crossbows to certain age groups and those with disabilities. Might as well put in some age restrictions to keep those pesky annoying kids from bowhunting before they're olympic calibre shooters and potentially wounding something. Maybe we should have special fees for what type of broadhead you use, say $5 for fixed head and $10 for mechanicals too.
    What a joke.
    Twist and pull.

I buy the archery licence, in Alberta, but then I buy the bird licence to, just to shoot a few pheasants. I don't grumble about the extra few bucks, I'm just very happy to have the opportunity to hunt. Cheaper than a movie, more fun and lasts way longer. Bow hunters in Alberta pay more for having more hunting days in the field than rifle hunters. That seems fair
    .As far as $10 keeping someone from hunting; When the price of gas goes up $0.02 a litre do you stay home. If you buy a coffee, donut and an app for your I-Phone, do you stay out of the woods that weekend or that season?

The problem with checking the "bow hunter box" when you buy your BC licence is that it doesn't mean you are actually going to bow hunt. Maybe just sounds fun at the time.

IMO there should be archery LEH's for most areas/species that have them for rifles. If, for instance, there are 150 bull moose tags available in 7-07 then just add 10 archery only LEH's. A number of hunters would apply for the archery LEH which would better the draw odds for the rifle hunters. And with the low success rates for the archers very few more moose would be taken. Maybe even fewer moose would be killed, because the guy that decides to take on the extra challenge of killing his moose with an arrow, may be one of the more successful rifle moose hunters anyway.
    Keep in mind that the archer would have to hunt in the same area open to the rifle LEH. No restrictions on area, only weapon choice.

Any licensed hunter can participate in an archery only season. It doesn't restrict WHO can hunt, only WHAT you can hunt with. It's funny, I never hear anyone bitch about shotgun only areas.

It's pretty simple really. Almost all of the areas/seasons that are archery only are there because of conservation and safety reasons. If there was no archery season, there would be no season at all, for anybody.
    But some people are just selfish enough that they would rather have nobody hunting if they can't [won't] hunt themselves.

I believe archery LEH could create more opportunity for bow and rifle hunters.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    But whats the point of it? To find out how many people use bows?
    Alberta's bow season is much longer than BC.s Many areas are bow only Sept 1- Oct 31..so the hunters there,(including myself) have no issue paying the archery license. I see no reason why we need an archery license in BC as our bow only season is very short.
    Last edited by Riverbc; 03-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.