Thread: arrow blew apart

arrow blew apart

was flicking a few arrows today when i heard a strange sound and no arrow to be seen.looked around the archery block and found arrow ten feet beyond target.the end was splintered and only the fletching kept the end of arrow attached.knock was ten feet from where shot was released,arrow traveled twenty more yards.what the hell happened?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: arrow blew apart

Sounds like your lucky you didn't get a handful of carbon splinters. There might of been some damage from smacking arrows together? Glad your okay.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Arrow probably split behind the insert. I noticed one of my arrows a couple weeks ago that had a small split right behind the insert. The insert had actually started to press into the the arrow causing the split to get bigger. Another shot or two and it would've blown apart probably. I like to inspect my arrows atleast everytime I shoot. A quick check for and cracks/splits or anything out of the unusual.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Do you flex your arrows before using? Buddy of mine same thing happened but not so lucky, bare forearm took a pile of carbon fibre splinters that needed hospital care to remove. I've had an arrow snap like a dry thin pretzel.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Carbon fibre gets that way, if you have had a tent with shock cords you probably had them split, they never last forever.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Think I'll stick with aluminum arrows. Been hearing of too many incidents like this.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.