Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzlies in the LML

Grizzlies in the LML

So my 7 year old son and I got in the habit last year of doing the grouse grind weekly. Takes him a bit longer but he loves it. Everytime we get to the top we stop off and see Koola and Grinder. Now although they are captive bears, they still hibernate every year. Grouse has constructed a small log cave that gets burried in many many feet of snow. We still head up the mountain for ice skating and the occasional hike but obbviuosly he was disapointed that we couldnt stop and see his friends. So we started checking in on them via web cam online. they are always sleeping but were told as spring comes up they get more and more restless. This got me thinking, can we use this as a bear thermometer as such for local bears coming out of hibernation? what are your thoughts???
    Heres the link incase you or your kids havnt seen it.
    http://www.grousemountain.com/wildlife-refuge/bear-cam

And if you havnt gone up in the summer I highly recommend it. the have the logger show that alot of us grew up with at the PNE and lots to see and do.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzlies in the LML

I love Grind! looking fwd to it opening

I guess if the conditions on where you plan to hunt grizzly bear match those in the "wilderness sanctuary" of Grouse mountain then it may be useful. I would look at the snow levels as a better thermometer for that. The "endangered wildlife" on Grouse will wake up when the zoo keepers decide to wake them for the tourist to see. I think you can get an e mail notification when the Grouse bears are out of their den. You may want to hold off telling Grouse Mountain what purpose you will use that information.
    I have difficulty supporting grizzly bears in captivity. They may call it a wilderness sanctuary but if it was in the city I would call it a zoo.
    The wind turbine (Eye of the Wind), "the future of responsible energy" to me is nothing but a viewing platform for tourists and an eye sore on the mountains over looking Vancouver. I don't see it running most of the time so I don't see it as much of an energy producer. If I am wrong how come we don't have the whole north shore mountains dotted with them or the windy coast line? I think if it was at the PNE it would be an amusement ride.
    This is how you put a zoo and an amusement park in the wilderness with out a peep from the environmentalists. All this is to bring more revenue to the owners of Grouse Mountain. Good on them for fooling everyone but unfortunately I can't support that.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

I read somewhere that bears are not true hibernators.
    They only sleep through the winter because the food is scarce.
    Not sure why Grouse bears are hibernating. I'm guessing they don't feed them in the winter months.

Latest on Grinder & Coola!

https://www.abbynews.com/trending-no...ouse-mountain/

Hi there- after 144 days of sleep!

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

The owner only put the windmill up to make grouse seem more “green”. They hardly use it and generates pretty much no electricity for the mountain. The grind is great, the bears are cool, logging show is awesome and the beaver tails are amazing lol

At least in BC, I've always used the May long weekend as the sweet spot for bear hunting. That is also right about when I got my biggest black bear ever AND the window of when I got my griz.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Latest on Grinder & Coola!

https://www.abbynews.com/trending-no...ouse-mountain/

Hi there- after 144 days of sleep!

After months in hibernation, Grouse Mountain’s resident grizzly bears have finally awakened.
    The pair stayed there for their longest winter dormancy since their 2001 arrival – 170 days(almost a month longer than last year).

https://www.trailtimes.ca/news/video...gns-of-spring/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pmj View Post
    I guess if the conditions on where you plan to hunt grizzly bear match those in the "wilderness sanctuary" of Grouse mountain then it may be useful. I would look at the snow levels as a better thermometer for that. The "endangered wildlife" on Grouse will wake up when the zoo keepers decide to wake them for the tourist to see. I think you can get an e mail notification when the Grouse bears are out of their den. You may want to hold off telling Grouse Mountain what purpose you will use that information.
    I have difficulty supporting grizzly bears in captivity. They may call it a wilderness sanctuary but if it was in the city I would call it a zoo.
    The wind turbine (Eye of the Wind), "the future of responsible energy" to me is nothing but a viewing platform for tourists and an eye sore on the mountains over looking Vancouver. I don't see it running most of the time so I don't see it as much of an energy producer. If I am wrong how come we don't have the whole north shore mountains dotted with them or the windy coast line? I think if it was at the PNE it would be an amusement ride.
    This is how you put a zoo and an amusement park in the wilderness with out a peep from the environmentalists. All this is to bring more revenue to the owners of Grouse Mountain. Good on them for fooling everyone but unfortunately I can't support that.

that thing was for a tax right off nothing more. Almost never runs and is just for show. Guy that I used to frame for worked up grouse mountain as a carpenter for years and was friends with the owner. It’s just for show
    Member of CCFR

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2251235]After months in hibernation, Grouse Mountain’s resident grizzly bears have finally awakened.
    The pair stayed there for their longest winter dormancy since their 2001 arrival – 170 days(almost a month longer than last year).

update

For the grizz lovers-a celebration to attend -today & tomorrow -at Grouse Mountain.
    It’s their BEARthday party-both 20. They are big boys now-one around 900 lbs & the other around 1050 lbs. The orphans are unrelated.

Meet GRINDER & COOLA!

Don’t need bear spray-just bring your camera!

“They’re never more than 50 or 100 feet apart at any given time in their habitat”.

Their B-DAY cake is made with salmon
    https://www.grousemountain.com/event...ay-fun-draiser

The bears briefly gained worldwide notoriety after a grey wolf was introduced to their habitat in 2005 and was killed by one of them while trying to steal a bone