Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Re: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I'll also add that the MR packs are heavy when you pick them up, but when wearing them loaded they don't feel like you're packing 50lbs.
    this is the reason anyone who has one and has it properly fitted will never use another pack. when it is comfortable for 6 days straight, no one cares about the extra weight!
    just takes time to get it right!

DP

The new Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack is a bit lighter as well. I wouldnt call it light weight but to me it seems less bulky than the Crew Cab. I have been playing around with my Metcalf tonight and I have it stuffed full for an imaginary 5 day trip. Its more a day pack for me but I wanted to see if I could do 3-5 days out of it. No problem so far. Longer trips 6500 would be better. What peaked my interest on this pack is the ability to carry large loads of meat pinched between the bag and frame makes it very versatile IMO. Time will tell...

Last edited by mcrae; 03-04-2013 at 08:53 PM.

My icon 7000 has been perfect and have 40 mountain days and has been very good no issues at all would recommend can't comment on mr bags

that Metcalf looks nice. I'll stick to the CrewCab for now but I'll probably pick up a Metcalf eventually to give it a go
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I'll also add that the MR packs are heavy when you pick them up, but when wearing them loaded they don't feel like you're packing 50lbs.
    Same can be said for any high end pack .....No?

any decent pack with less than 50 pounds will feel comfortable if it fits properly......

so the MR crowd is saying that the packs they lug are more comfortable than other comfortable packs?

I guess there are tastier steaks and more comfortable beds.... so why not eh?!

so if everyone is happy to carry an extra 5 pounds around then why isn't everyone throwing in a 6 pack of beer each time they set out for the day........hey why not? It's only 5 pounds

.... All in good fun BTW....

All things considered $700 and change to shave 4.5-5 lbs off your pack weight is actually a pretty good value proposition for guys looking to upgrade gear with lightweight counterparts.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I have a hard time with the weight of a MR and have always had it in my mind that I'd love a pack that was lighter that I was as confident and felt was as tough. Each type of pack have their benefits for sure. Some are weight, some are durability, some are modularity, some are price, some are for tall or short people, meat hauling vs backpacking, etc, etc..

I have a MR 6500 and have used them for a few years. They are bombproof and althoguh I'd love to have a couple pounds off it, it works well for me and I love how tough it is and how it carries big weight.

Kifaru, MR, KUIU, Stone Glacier, McHales, etc, etc all have their benefits and their drawbacks. Finding one that works best for each person is what it comes down to, and determining which 'drawbacks' are acceptable to you to get what you want is all part of the process.

Personally I'd like to try a Kifaru Timberline DT2 sometime just to see how it compares, but again its all personal choices with this type of stuff I think...

Quote Originally Posted by budismyhorse View Post
    well I have no experience with the MR stuff beside picking one up empty and saying "NO WAY".....

I also have no experience or the want to carry Bone In Moose Quarters with my Kuiu 7000.......

I packed an entire ram and all the gear necessary for a 2 week sheep hunt in my second gen Icon and it was easily the most comfortable and STABLE hike of that nature I've had.........and Im a tried and true diehard external frame hunter from way back.

I felt the "meat cell" that Kuiu added to the Icon is a home run and anyone that hasn't used one shouldnt say a thing about it until its packed something off a mountain for you. Its awesome in my opinion.......holds the heavy meat up and tight to your back........not low or flopping around. Hard to understand how good this is until you need it.

I will say this though. The weight values of the Kuiu are a bit misleading.........you have to add the weight of a good pack cover and dry sack that fits in the meat cell. So add another .5-.75 pounds.

Also, the Kuiu packs are in fact "lightweight"......so comparing them with MR isn't really fair when it comes to the "bombproof" factor.

Consider this: Has Kuiu ever said their stuff was bombproof??? Has MR ever said their stuff was lightweight??

You gotta make a decision whats most important to you and go with it.......not belabour the two compared to each other........
    Great input budismyhorse. So would you say its unrealistic to expect the Icon to handle everything from multi-day sheep/goat to (boned out) elk, moose, caribou? If I'm reading your (and other's) posts correctly, if I really want a "do-all" pack I'm going to have to sacrifice some of the weight savings of the Icons?

Quote Originally Posted by mcrae View Post
    The new Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack is a bit lighter as well. I wouldnt call it light weight but to me it seems less bulky than the Crew Cab. I have been playing around with my Metcalf tonight and I have it stuffed full for an imaginary 5 day trip. Its more a day pack for me but I wanted to see if I could do 3-5 days out of it. No problem so far. Longer trips 6500 would be better. What peaked my interest on this pack is the ability to carry large loads of meat pinched between the bag and frame makes it very versatile IMO. Time will tell...

Mcrae, thanks for posting these pics. I was checking this exact pack out on their website the other day. Really like the look and size of this one. Have you tested it at all yet ski-touring, snow-shoeing even?

And dumb question maybe but are the MR packs carried by anyone up here or do you have to buy direct form them?