Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Re: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Mystery Ranch 6500. You will not be sorry. It's a bit heavier but bomb proof. I have never heard of anyone having issues other than weight with their MR pack.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Don't forget to look at Kifaru. A DT1 with Bikini frame and Longhunter lid will give you 8100 ci and be under 6 pounds, also has a great reputation for carrying weight and being bombproof.

well I have no experience with the MR stuff beside picking one up empty and saying "NO WAY".....

I also have no experience or the want to carry Bone In Moose Quarters with my Kuiu 7000.......

I packed an entire ram and all the gear necessary for a 2 week sheep hunt in my second gen Icon and it was easily the most comfortable and STABLE hike of that nature I've had.........and Im a tried and true diehard external frame hunter from way back.

I felt the "meat cell" that Kuiu added to the Icon is a home run and anyone that hasn't used one shouldnt say a thing about it until its packed something off a mountain for you. Its awesome in my opinion.......holds the heavy meat up and tight to your back........not low or flopping around. Hard to understand how good this is until you need it.

I will say this though. The weight values of the Kuiu are a bit misleading.........you have to add the weight of a good pack cover and dry sack that fits in the meat cell. So add another .5-.75 pounds.

Also, the Kuiu packs are in fact "lightweight"......so comparing them with MR isn't really fair when it comes to the "bombproof" factor.

Consider this: Has Kuiu ever said their stuff was bombproof??? Has MR ever said their stuff was lightweight??

You gotta make a decision whats most important to you and go with it.......not belabour the two compared to each other........

I was going to buy the Kuiu 7000 at the sheep show in Reno but my cousin pulled on the strap and pulled it off the Velcro back so went and looked at the MR and ended up with a Metcalf. It really fits good and will pack all I can carry. The MR salesman know the packs inside out and really helped me. Take your time when buying the packs and rely on past pack performance. The Metcalf weighs only 5 lbs and feels really good on. Good luck, these packs are expensive and you will have it for a long time.

I have a MR Crewcab. It does feel heavy when I pick it up, but not so much when I wear it. It's very comfortable with a heavy load, and certainly durable. Would I like a lighter pack of equal cabability? Sure. But I really doubt such a pack exists.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Just ordered a new metcalf this week, sold my crew cab. Have packed out bone in elk quarters and de-boned mule deer in my MR, absolute comfort at 100lb load.
    Make Your Own Luck

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Can't comment on the KUIU but I have 2 MR Nice frames one with a 6500 bag and one with a wolf bag,the latter I use for my day pack as well as 2-3 day trips,
    Aside from being a little heavy it is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn,I usually hike from before first light to dark and after wearing it all day, when you take it off at night it doesn't feel like you were even wearing a pack,I haven't had much more than about 45lbs in it so far but I think u would be hard pressed to find a better pack made or one more comfortable.

WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

You're better off comparing kifaru to the MR. I've packed many double quarters, bone in, on my longhunter pack frame. Solid.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

good write up budismyhorse.
    i think the meat cell is a great idea- ive used it lots on my badlands OX pack and love that option. its good to see kuiu making light weight/ new stuff..

I'll also add that the MR packs are heavy when you pick them up, but when wearing them loaded they don't feel like you're packing 50lbs.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004