Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

Has anyone owned both? Interested to hear thoughts from people with experience. Was talking to a guy at the hunting show this past weekend who said a couple of guides he knows (yes I know we're talking third or fourth hand input here) were given Icons and destroyed the frames by the end of their seasons. They supposedly swear by the MR's????

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

MR has more field-time, more users and much more feedback. That said, there are a few guides on here who were happy with the KUIU and it lasted their guiding seasons.... I don't want to be an early adopter with something like a pack so will wait a few years to pickup an Icon myself. I have an MR 6500 and a Barney which are both great tried and proven packs, the latter probably being the most bombproof.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I think it depends which icons they were using.

The first go around had the pivot style frames, they did not last/work very well and kuiu ditched that idea.

The new generation of packs has your standard internal pack frame, and I have not heard of any break down issues. A lot of people seem to be happy with it.

My friend just ordered one, once i get my hands on it, I will probably order one too.

But if you aren't a gambling man, mystery ranch is the way to go. I used a mystery ranch kodiak last year and was happy with it. The only downfall in my opinion is their weight.

Mystery Ranch - 9.5 pounds
    Kuiu 7000 - 6.5 pounds

I have owned both.

I have the Icon first gen and there are some issues with squeaking in the pivot which MUST be kept clean and lubed otherwise you will sound like a calf elk every step of the way... its a three minute job to clean lube it. I broke the first one trying to tighten the pivot bolt to stop the squeak and they replaced it under warranty but not until I paid in full including the extremely high shipping/brokerage fees (they refunded the purchase after receiving the broken pack shipped back at my expense). Cost me over $100 in extra shipping. The new pack is fine and fits great but I have only had about 50 pounds max in it so I don't know about hauling a big load. Its main awesome card is its super light weight love it for that!

I found the MR just too heavy and I couldn't seem to get the fitment right. Also has so many straps to get tangled is was a PIA. If the Icon breaks on me I will probably try the second generation before going back to MR.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I owned both. I packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.

Kuiu second gen packs are supposed to be a lot better. Like KB90 says, gamble a little and get the lighter weight one, plus they are a little cheaper, not that it makes much of a difference when you spend cash like that. If you aren't guiding for a full season and only plan to use it on a couple expedition style hunts per year then the chances of it totally blowing out are pretty low. I will be ordering mine shortly here! Can't wait to get my hands on it and hopefully stuff a sheep or two in it this year! Cheers
    The 'where-to-go' department - it's like a rod, dog or gun: a thing to be loaned or given as a personal courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBoy View Post
    packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.
    I don't think there are any internal pack frames that would haul a bone in moose quarter nicely.

As a sheep and goat hunting pack I think they will be great. I like the load sling with meat cell

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBoy View Post
    I owned both. I packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.
    MtnBoy, explain failed in every way. Uncomfortable? Broke in one or various spots? We're heading on a moose/caribou combo hunt this year and hope to pack a fair amount of weight so would like to know.

I love my MR!!

There are a number of internal frame packs which can haul insanely heavy loads. I know, I own one. I recommend a M.R and McHales with the latter being on the spendy side. However, it is really a true custom pack.

This little ICON pack did the job as it was all I had with me at the time. I'm eating moose pepperoni now so I am thankful it got the job done.

I will explain 'fail'. The C.F. frame was flexing so much it felt like a wet noodle. A number of straps ripped off the bag fabric. The annoying squeak came and went but thats no big deal. The top bag (where the drawstring is on the main bag) ripped completely. Uncomfortable is putting it lightly. I think with so much flex in the frame it led to it not carrying well. I want to be clear that I was not using this pack for its intended purpose...this was way over the capabilities of this pack. It got the job done but it is not a heavy hauler. I still recommend it for some applications but just not heavy hauling.