Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about winter wheat and layout blinds

Let's talk about winter wheat and layout blinds

How do you do it?

Looking at the dead honkers thread - They simply used brown grass / broken haystack method with deecs to distract the geese from seeing the lumps.

Has anyone else had as much success with this method? I find the geese just flare off at 50 paces after having a look - when I try that trick.
    Last edited by Kudu; 02-21-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Let's talk about winter wheat and layout blinds

The key to layout blinds take all hard corners out and blend to ground this will take a bit of effort .the more you don't look like a lump in a flat field the better. Grass ,corn stalks , hay or straw filling all straps is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    The key to layout blinds take all hard corners out and blend to ground this will take a bit of effort .the more you don't look like a lump in a flat field the better. Grass ,corn stalks , hay or straw filling all straps is the key!
    Oh Bugger!! - and there I was thinking that our camouflage was good...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

I like the set up area in the first pic , tough to set up in the second pic.

yep - the top one is easy - its the bottom one that we struggle with.

thats why I asked how does everyone else do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well the key to setting up successfully IMO in the bottom pciture is more decoys and a change in setup. I set up a fairly big loose U. In a field with no cover I set up on one side of the U and stacking ALOT of my dekes around me to one break up the blinds, to add comfort that there are dozens of geese around these misc piles, and lastly I keep the dekes closer to each other so there is no landing area and forces the birds into the hole or on the opposite side of the U (why i keep the pocket big and the dekes spaced out quite a bit, giving them ample room to land). Setting up on the side of U keeps their focus off of you when approaching as well. Angle your blinds on a 45 into the pocket.

X are decoys. B blinds

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
    x x x
    x x x
    x x x
    x x x
    x x x
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxBxxxxBxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wind --------->
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 02-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

hes gonna need a ton more decoys for that spread lorne!!!

Lol maybe, But if setting up ina low/no cover field i usually run around 4-6dozen.
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

4-6 dozen? - what are you using? Full bodies - shells or Silos?

I can't imagine my son and I hauling 4-6 dozen shells, let alone full bodies - 400 meters accros the field, maybe socks or silos but thats about it.

You can't see them in the pics I put up, but there were 40 odd shells in those fields and that's about the limit we would carry. Anymore and it's no longer fun - just a bloody hard chore.
    Last edited by Kudu; 02-21-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    4-6 dozen ? - what are you using?

Full bodies - shells or Silos?

I can't imagine my son and I hauling 4-6 dozen full bodies, 400 meters accros the field, maybe socks or silos but thats about it.

You can't see them in the pics I put up but there were 40 odd shells in those fields and that's about the limit we would carry. Anymore and it's no longer fun - just a bloody hard chore.
    We hunt all full bodies. I am sure i have a pick or 2 kicking around but we can haul 4 dozen ffd lessers ( packed in avery 12 slot duck bags) and 2 layout blinds on a fridge cart
    One guy pushes the cart the other guy totes the other dozen or 2 in the other few bags. Its defintly alot of work, especially hauling it back out with a limit of geese. But we also havea motto that sometimes the only thing between us and an epic hunt is laziness. Thats it

Lorne

P.s Dave and Dave hunt 6 or so dozen silos and kill em!