Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrows - Build vs buy...

Arrows - Build vs buy...

How many of us bow hunters build our own arrows? I am thinking of getting into it. Any advice on equipment, materials (vanes for broadheads, shafts, inserts) etc?

How many of us buy their arrows?

Any advantages/disadvantages to either buying or building?

It's the classic debate of build versus buy...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrows - Build vs buy...

Build your own ! buy a fletcher and some vanes and start . Its way cheaper and you`ll get better arrows.

Bow Walker Guest

That's just what I spent the better part of this afternoon doing, Franko. Building arrows.

I recently got into building arrows and I find it about as satisfying as tying a really nice looking fly and then going out there and catching a humongous trout with it.

The obvious first benefit is self satisfaction in doing something for yourself that not every person is willing to tackle. Cost savings are secondary as they are not tremendous, nor are they particularly notable - cost savings are actually minimal.

What you get is an arrow built to your own specifications. You choose exactly what components go into the making of your arrow. You can't always get that from buying "over-the-counter" arrows.

For instance, I use GT shafts, GT inserts, Blazer vanes (2" for broadheads and 1.5" for 3D), GT pin nock bushing with GT pin nocks to finish the arrow. My arrows are cut to my personal preference - which can be done for a fee at the pro shop - with my own arrow saw, and then the fun begins. And it is fun.

As for equipment....start with an arrow cut-off saw (Harbour Freight makes a good, inexpensive one), then get a good fletching jig (blitzenburg is your best bet there). After that you need the obvious - inserts, nocks, your choice of feathers or vanes, and the proper glue. Not to mention a few well chosen tools to clean, square, and prep the shafts.

A wee tad bit of advice here - buy a good fletching jig. You won't regret it. Also be careful what glues you use. Some are better than others and yet some others are just junk.

For anyone interested I have a feather burner that I don't use and wish to see go to a good home.

Most of the archers I shoot with build our own arrows, it is one way to get together and shoot the breeze. We have been doing it for several years. We started building arrows and now make our own strings and cables. You learn more about archery and there is great satisfaction in using something that you create. The initial cost is quite substatial for the initial set-up, but we have always shared the cost. We were lucky enough to have a co-worker that was very good at fabricating. He made a bench bow press and other things for archery. We now have several fletching jigs, many of the components and several of the required tools. Enjoy archery as a ways to the great outdoors and a indoor hobby for those miserable stormy days. Hope to see you at the archery ranges.
    GOOD FRIENDS TO HUNT WITH, FRESH AIR TO BREATH, THE B.C. OUTDOORS, BIG GAME AND BROADHEADS, WHAT A LIFE. MAY THE DESTINATION OF YOUR PROJECTILES REACH YOUR DESIRED POINT AND YOUR NEXT HARVEST BEST YOUR BEST TO DATE.

Bow Walker Guest

Franko.......
    Here's a pic of my bow maintenance setup. The cutoff saw is on the right.

There can be a signifigant cost savings to building your own arrows if you are doing your own cutting. Here's how...by making your own arrows you can can buy a lower quailty shaft and turn it into a top quality arrow. This relates to carbon shafts only. Lets use gold tip as an example... i Can buy XT expidition hunters for around $80 a dozen, the Pro's will cost me about $125/doz...the biggest difference between these two shafts is that the XT expiditions have a straightness tolerance of .006 and the Pro's is .001. Now in the manufacturing of carbon shafts you will always get your most variation at the ends of the shafts because it loses some structural integrity where the cut is made. BUT....if you cut your own arrows, instead of just cutting from one end like most people and shops do....cut equal amounts from both ends, this will eliminate the largest portion of the variation and will give you a Pro quality shaft for an XT Expedition price! The other great thing about building your own is you can mix and match components to get your arrows to weigh as close to the the same weight as possible...again a lot of shops won't do this.
    Plus its a lot of fun and very satisfying!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc
    There can be a signifigant cost savings to building your own arrows if you are doing your own cutting. Here's how...by making your own arrows you can can buy a lower quailty shaft and turn it into a top quality arrow. This relates to carbon shafts only. Lets use gold tip as an example... i Can buy XT expidition hunters for around $80 a dozen, the Pro's will cost me about $125/doz...the biggest difference between these two shafts is that the XT expiditions have a straightness tolerance of .006 and the Pro's is .001. Now in the manufacturing of carbon shafts you will always get your most variation at the ends of the shafts because it loses some structural integrity where the cut is made. BUT....if you cut your own arrows, instead of just cutting from one end like most people and shops do....cut equal amounts from both ends, this will eliminate the largest portion of the variation and will give you a Pro quality shaft for an XT Expedition price! The other great thing about building your own is you can mix and match components to get your arrows to weigh as close to the the same weight as possible...again a lot of shops won't do this.
    Plus its a lot of fun and very satisfying!

Chris
    I must agree. Having Chris custom cut and build all of my arrows for me is fun and very satisfying !

funny guy......... just remember I work on your bow too so keep that in mind if your shooting mysteriously goes downhill!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    Franko.......
    Here's a pic of my bow maintenance setup. The cutoff saw is on the right.
    Is that a homemade bow press? Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    That's just what I spent the better part of this afternoon doing, Franko. Building arrows.

I recently got into building arrows and I find it about as satisfying as tying a really nice looking fly and then going out there and catching a humongous trout with it.

The obvious first benefit is self satisfaction in doing something for yourself that not every person is willing to tackle. Cost savings are secondary as they are not tremendous, nor are they particularly notable - cost savings are actually minimal.

What you get is an arrow built to your own specifications. You choose exactly what components go into the making of your arrow. You can't always get that from buying "over-the-counter" arrows.

For instance, I use GT shafts, GT inserts, Blazer vanes (2" for broadheads and 1.5" for 3D), GT pin nock bushing with GT pin nocks to finish the arrow. My arrows are cut to my personal preference - which can be done for a fee at the pro shop - with my own arrow saw, and then the fun begins. And it is fun.

As for equipment....start with an arrow cut-off saw (Harbour Freight makes a good, inexpensive one), then get a good fletching jig (blitzenburg is your best bet there). After that you need the obvious - inserts, nocks, your choice of feathers or vanes, and the proper glue. Not to mention a few well chosen tools to clean, square, and prep the shafts.

A wee tad bit of advice here - buy a good fletching jig. You won't regret it. Also be careful what glues you use. Some are better than others and yet some others are just junk.

For anyone interested I have a feather burner that I don't use and wish to see go to a good home.
    Would someone be willing to compile a complete list of all the tools/materials needed to build your own arrows? This would be handy for us newbies. For instance, BowWalker recommends Bitzenburger fletching jigs and mentions that some glues are good, some are crap. Knowing good from bad would be helpful, and it would allow us (i.e. me) to call around and get a package price from various vendors.