Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: youth bow

youth bow

I bought my daughter a cheap bow to see if she would like it, well now its time to upgrade, I want to make sure she gets a bow that will last and is a good quality, her draw length is 19", anyone on here have any recommendations for what I should get her?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: youth bow

How much weight is she pulling? How old is she?

Bought my 8 yr old grandson a Bear Apprentice 2. It is very adjustable : Draw length 15- 27 in. Draw weight 20-60 lbs. Let off 70% Weight 2.9 lbs. He loves it. His 63 yr old Grandma (she is 5 ft.) liked the weight and size so much we sold her crossbow and bought her one too. Very happy with it and only takes my archery shop owner minutes to adjust as they get bigger or stronger.

she is 9 not sure a draw weight

Looking at all the specs. The Bear Apprentice 2 is a great option. Especially for a bow that can last her well into her teens.

What about a recurve bow ?

browning archery used to make a fine youth bow called the micro hunter.it had great range in draw length and weight, and would probably provide for her needs for sometime to come.

where do you live ?

Go see Ken at Hardcore Archery in Kelowna and pick up a Mathews Genesis! IMHO one of the best bows out there for growing shooters and even adults as a training bow - Used around the world as the official National Archery in the Schools Program - putting millions of kids through the program - couple schools in Kelowna are involved through Ken.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I gave my son the Bear Apprentice for Xmas this year. I was having problems getting it sighted in until I replace the arrow rest with one off of an old bow of mine. Actually, I ended up switching the sights, and peep as well. It made for easier adjustment, as well as ease of use. With it set at a 21 inch draw length, and the screws turned out the maximum amount, the draw weight sits at 27 pounds. So, it is my understanding that the draw weight works in conjunction with the draw length. As in, the longer the draw, the heavier the draw. Kind of misleading. I would think that with a 19 inch draw length, the draw weight would be over 20 pounds. Might be a little difficult for your daughter.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.