Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie

Re: Newbie

welcome to hbc, best forms around i find lots of ues full information

welcome to the club.
    ive got an sks myself , there fun little guns and are easy to break down which certainky helps build your confidence in maintaining a rifle .
    makes a decent little back up bush rifle for cheao as well.
    If youre getting into hunting I suggest you buy an accurate rifle like a bolt action savage or remy , then buy the lever gun later on .
    I own a 3030 , an sks , a .303 , and a savage 06.
    Wish I'd bought my savage first , the other guns are fun , and good insurance in case something happens to my bolt gun mid season ( happened last year ) , but my 06 is definitely my meat and potatos gun .
    That said , if youre new to shooting , an accurate .22lr is invaluable in the ammount of money it will save you as you learn to shoot accurately .
    The sks can be frustrating when you try to make one hole groups , mine will shoot 3moa , which is frustrating when youre trying to learn to shoot precision .
    I kill things and eat them.

Welcome!

As said above and many other places, you will be very well served with a .22 for shooting practice without recoil. As for a hunting rifle, the standard 'do-all' medicine in BC is 308 / 270 / 30-06 or something close to that. These are powerful guns and when you go to the range you will have much better experience if you intersperse your centrefire shooting with the .22. If find that if I don't do that my accuracy starts to fall off and I leave the range unsatisfied. I strongly suggest you ignore the siren call of magnums and that you keep things simple by purchasing only bolt action rifles. Have fun!

Welcome to HBC!! I've got an 870 12 gauge and it's always gone bang since I bought it in '89, that's a fine choice!
    A Ruger 10/22 is an excellent .22 that'll give you the quick follow up shot if you need one, and they're fun.
    As far as levers go, you have to take them all apart to clean them, and simplicity is very often best in a hunting rifle...I'd
    go with a bolt action in .308 if you're going after deer, elk, and moose, and a .270 if it's just for deer. You can pull the
    bolt out easily and clean your rifle quickly and easily in the field if needed, and if it ever misfeeds it's an easy fast fix. It's
    also one of the strongest actions and very accurate...all reasons why a vast majority of experienced hunters carry bolt actions.
    The SKS is a TOY, for plinking away at 50 yards for fun, it's groups at 100 yards are huge and I wouldn't use it for hunting.
    If I had no choice I'd use it for deer only at less than a 100 yards. Yeah, I have one and I've made some mods to it, the
    biggest one being the Sailor Curt YouTube video series on improving the horrible sloppy and heavy stock trigger...it's still
    not perfect but it's a lot lighter and breaks cleanly now. Your best bet is to get the 12 gauge 870 first, it'll quickly and cleanly
    take any small game. Then I'd look at a Ruger American or a Marlin XL-7 in .308 or .270, for big game! Cheers!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Hey welcome to HBC I just recently bought my first gun as well. I went with a 12g got the benelli pump. I would recommend it to someone that wants to get into shooting. Then get some clays and start shooting. Its a good way to start, and shells aren't to pricey so you can shoot often and a couple hundred in a day with only spending 50-60 bucks