Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Good evening! Thought would introduce myself. New to the sport as well as gun ownership in general. I enjoy the hiking and being in the back woods for the most part. But do enjoy tracking and until recently, the possibility of providing myself and family with an alternate to store bought meat.

I will be searching the forums for the Canadian usually, lever action 30-30, Remington 870 express, possibly a 10-22. Basically looking to learn to shoot accurately and consistently. May include an sks... For a first rifle purchase.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie

Welcome to HBC
    Genesis 27:3 (NIV1984)
    Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

welcome
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

Welcome and best of luck with your hunting and shooting!

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst

Welcome to the site

Welcome...practice your shooting, practice practice...

Get a .22 to practice with - make some cans dance and put lots of holes in paper. I prefer a bolt gun but get whatever feels comfortable for you. I learned to shoot with my dad's bolt action .22 so may have a bias. There is a very good reason that most people learn to shoot with a .22 it is inexpensive, easy and fun to shoot. The next selection in caliber and action will depend on what you want to hunt, how you plan to hunt and what you find comfortable (the 30-30 is likely not a good choice for ducks).

The best education I had for determining what I wanted in a deer rifle was carrying a rifle through the bush for a season. The rifle I had at the time was not the best tool for the job and I quickly identified what I wanted in my next rifle. Picking up a rifle in a gun shop and shouldering it or even firing it at the range it a totally different experience than carrying it for a day or more through the bush. Get a .22 and go grouse hunting (yes it may not be the ideal rifle and you can see from my earlier posts that I took my 870 for my first grouse hunts, but it will give you an idea of what you might like and do not like in a rifle after carrying it all day). For big game if you can borrow a gun then great. If not, go to a range and talk to as many people as possible (perhaps they will even let you take a few shots).

I like the 870 and a particular 30-30 but what really matters is what you like, what will work for the hunting you plan to do and what you find comfortable and accurate to shoot.

Cheers,
    Morel

Basically looking to learn to shoot accurately and consistently. May include an sks
    I don't think I have ever heard the words SKS accuracy and consistently ever used together. I'd say pick up a .22 to start learning how to shoot. You don't give your location but if you have a well used range close to you then go to it, pick up a few tips and see what other rifles appeal to you.

Thanks for the input! I'm in Kelowna and plan on joining the local club.

Hi OptiOn, feel free to pm me and I'd be glad to help you out.