Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

The 30-06 is the best bang for your buck, especially for a beginner. You've the most kinetic energy, available rifles, ammunition variety and availability of any cartridge.

If you start rolling your own, building custom guns, shoot competitively, there are many better choices. But until you reach that point, the 30-06 is the best round for a North American shooter and hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

The 30-06 really shines when hand loaded and is not a boring cartridge at all, so long as your well endowed. The animals I have bagged with the 30-06 would not be any deader if shot with a 300wm. Mine is in a Sako Finnlight and it is a fairly light ,portable rifle. For deer a 168gr TSX is excellent for the big stuff a 200gr AccuBond at 2600-2700 fps mv, will not allow the animal to take another step.
    For years I packed a 7mag, bought a Sako in 300wm brought it home then came to my senses and said wtf am I going to do with this that a 30-06 can't do so I sold it. Today a well loaded, with bullet selection with the game in mind, my choice will be the 30-06. In a heavy target rifle I might consider a 300wm, but that rig will weigh ~13lbs ready to shoot.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @