Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

that's Crazy. some people eh, thanks again for the advice

The 300 Winchester Magnum is the best of the two Rifles because I own two of them! That's That, question answered, save your self all the grief that 30-06 owners go through, buy a 300 Win Mag, problem's solved, next question Please!!!

Ok not to bash you or anything i just called the conservation officer hunting is allowed on burke Mountain, just not in the water shed restricted area! which is all fenced off, Burke is considered Located in Port Coquitlam... Just had too call!

thanks mr dean

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    The 300 Winchester Magnum is the best of the two Rifles because I own two of them! That's That, question answered, save your self all the grief that 30-06 owners go through, buy a 300 Win Mag, problem's solved, next question Please!!!
    What's the grief that 30/06 owners go through?
    300 Winmag is substantially more expensive to shoot and it has substantially more recoil which means not everyone can shoot it and you can't shoot it from the hip sort of thing.
    Very little improvement in ballistics IMO.
    In other words, not worth it.

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Here i got a question nothing to do with Guns, Iv Called Everywhere to try to find out where i can get the CORE book and no one knows some one already told me on here but cant find the thread Im in Poco. thankss

Doddatto

Wanstalls sells the CORE books. They are in Maple Ridge.

thanks man

I've shot 30-06 quite a lot and tried out my buddy's 300 mag at the range a few times. 300 mag can be a punishing gun. Its ballistics advantage over the 30-06 cannot be denied, but as many of others have said, there is a definite overkill factor.

I struggled with this decision a lot, and did a lot of research and forum reading. Based on months of this, I purchased a .270 Win. Super-flat trajectory, easy to shoot, cheap ammo that is available anywhere, and kills things just as dead as the 30 cals with the right bullet.

I bought the rifle (Savage 11/111 International Trophy Hunter XP) on a Friday morning. Put a box through it that afternoon and got it dialed in at 200, hit the 500m gong three times in a row. This was the farthest I had ever shot with a rifle and I couldn't believe I was shooting at those distances. The excellent trigger and the low recoil was a whole new world to me.

Next morning, I killed my first buck. First shot from about 180m, I misjudged the wind (adrenaline wasn't helping) and gut shot him. He was on the run at about 230m and the second round blew his right shoulder apart and dropped him.

One caveat; the .270 is not appropriate for Bison (unless you can find some 175gr. bullets for it and get close...). If I ever win a Bison tag I will either buy a 300 mag or borrow my friend's.

If you can find a place to try some of these calibers, I highly recommend adding .270 to the list.

Also, if you want to do some reading on just about every calibre out there, Nathan Foster's site is absolutely incredible! http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html The guy has killed literally thousands of animals with almost every type of cartridge/bullet combo you can think of and he and his wife perform autopsies to evaluate the performance... Unreal!
    Last edited by hare_assassin; 05-03-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Hi David
    I have had both and a few other Calibers as well I found the 300WM a little over powered and the 30-06 a great all around Caliber.If your young enough consider a reloading Kit and you can Expand that 30-06 to cover all kinds of hunting.Try to find an older Rifle Husqavarna spelt wrong of course they have a action that will last forever try to get what ever you buy checked by a qualified Gunsmith for rifling and bolt face for any used guns