Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

for a new shooter, the 30-06. for a seasoned shooter MAYBE something else. My first was a 308 and I learned a ton. It was perfect. Until the recoil issue is put to bed a 300 mag can be a bit much. The 3006 will cleanly harvest moose and elk to 300 yards. On another note i don't agree with the concept of too much gun. I've seen antelope taken with a 300 Weatherby and it worked perfect BUT the shooter had been hunting for 40 years and by the way his first gun was a 308.

I know a hunter that started with a 7mm and it was way too much for him (all 200 lbs of him). He has had a flinch ever since. Another hunter I know started with a 3006 2 years ago and liked it so much he has bought another. He has shot moose and deer left right and centre and is loving it. What a great start to a hunting career.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    you cant go wrong with the 7mm stw...why shoot the same cal. as everybody else...
    Why bother with the STW when you can do the same with a 7RM? Many more rifle choices (is anyone even chambering a 7STW anymore??) way more ammo selection, much more available brass if you are a handloader.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

For a new shooter I would look at 3 things. 1 - low recoil. 2 - ammo availability. 3- ammo cost. I would stay away from the magnums until you learn to shoot and handle recoil. My suggestions would be 270, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

^
    |
    |
    Agreed

With a .308 can put any number of rounds down range, not an issue. Have a .300WSM (find its more of a push than a punch compared to a 300WM in the same rifle) and 20 rounds leaves me wondering whether will have a bruise the next day. I like how the .300WSM shoots but is not a rifle would take to the range to enjoy a day of shooting and hence if had to get good at shot placement then would not be the right rifle. Practice field shooting positions, there may not be a concrete bench within 200 yards of a bear.

First gun go with a 270 or .308
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

My older 30-06 has way more felt recoil than my new 300 win mag. Those high-tech recoil pads really help!
    Last edited by deer nut; 02-16-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    For a new shooter? a .270 Kills stuff dead.
    And what's with the "Tactical Shotgun" thing?
    Been watching too much Dog the Bounty Hunter?
    Its more for protection if a bear charges at me, idk if i need it im a noob i just want to hunt safe

yea i think it was shooter that pm saying he had a 7mm-08 im thinking about it, ill do a tad more research, im just iffy ( NO OFFENSE) about online buys i would rather avoid it but its a good deal i think but what do i know LOL. 650, with redfeild scope. im just so excited to go out and go for a nice climb scout and practice shooting

U know u guys are good guys thanks for all the advice, beers on me if u come to poco, and a nice hot stew!!! no joke ur advice has or will save me lots of money

Has any one done any bear hunting up by steelhead by stave falls if u google it and look to the montains to ur east this is where im thinking about going, one because its close , two lots of loging roads, 3 lots of clearings, and 4 im just super excited to go hunting i wouldnt be able to sit in a truck for a day. id be like a kid with adhd on a bad sugar trip LOL