Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

30 06 vs 300 mag...

So im stuck and im getting super excited to receive my pal i sent in dec 26(bad timing i know) im still waiting to do my over the phone interview. I would like the advice of anyone with knowledge with these two guns. im new so the straighter the shot the better, i hear alot of good things about both, but i hear 30 06 has more of a lob shot. Iv been doing my research of everything, been reading like NUTs about hunting im super excited, and hoping i can get out for bear season. i also hear 300 can be too powerful (over kill) for big game, i want to be able to get the most meat out of the animal that i can get.

Im first buys is going to be at Poco gun shop, decent prices, im going to buy a 22. 12G tactical 30 06 or 300 Please help i dont want to have to buy both lol. And if anyone in the LOWER MAINLAND has used guns they would like to sell. hit me up this talk.....

Thanks guys. Good to be back on here as i was busy lunchin my new hardscaping Company..

David Doddatto
    AKA Darvie

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Between the 2 I picked 300WM as my first gun.

Both are great choices. Depends on previous rifle experience.

If you have 100 plus hunting rifle shots at a target 270 or bigger and can shoot good, get the 300wm. It's a more versatile cartridge than the 06.

However if you haven't shot more than 100 (large rifle) shots down range I would get the 06.

What you want to be able to do is shoot accurately. If you get the 300 and get scared of the recoil, and develops a flinch, which I have seen 6'4 guys 260lb do, accuracy goes out the window.

Buy used, PM me for where to look, you will save hundreds of dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

For a new shooter I would strongly advise the 30-06. The worst thing for a new shooter is to develop a flinch. The 30-06 is a fine caliber and one of the most versatile out there, and has the advantage that it has relatively mild recoil. It is also less expensive for ammunition, and uses far less powder if you get into re-loading. Just my two cents.

7-08 or 308
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Both are .30 caliber, both throw the same bullets, but the 300 wm will do it faster and flatter. You can load the 300 down to the speeds of the 06, but why ? You can not get the 06 to the same heights as the 300 can attain. If you can not shoot it because of recoil then it doesn't matter you shoot. There is no such thing as too dead so how can you over kill ? A bullet going faster does not matter as much as the construction of the bullet for meat damage
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I'd suggest that you go with one of the smaller calibers and focus in on your shooting skills first and foremost. You do not need a magnum to kill things effectively, a well-placed shot does that. Most hunting kill shots are well inside of 100 yards, with longer range shots than that being very much in the minority.

As Gatehouse has suggested: 7-08, .308 and I'd add a few to that list: 6.5x55, .260 Rem. The .308 is going to be easy and inexpensive to buy ammo for, the others you'll have to go to a gun shop to get ammo for as they are a little less common.

Consider the .300 Win Mag when you want to really reach out and touch something at much longer ranges, and have the time/skill under you belt to do that properly.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

300 win mag

I bought my first one when I was only 15 years old. I still hunt with it to this day. As far as what you can hunt with it, the options in B.C. are endless. I also own a couple 06's but they don't get the use that my 300's do.

Both will do the job, my personal preference is the 300 though but I hunt places at times where a 300 yard shot is a short one and I know it is just a chip shot with what I am carrying. I have taken everything from grouse to grizzly bears with it and most things in between.

300 wm or 7mm best all around do it all rifle if you're only gonna buy one. I shoot a 300 wsm and love it.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

30 cal is a 30 cal is a 30 cal. Despite shooting flatter then a 308 and having a flatter trajectory with more recoil, a 300 wm will extend the maximum range at witch the minimum amount of energy necessary to kill an animal can be delivered. If you need to shoot animals 5,6,700 meter away, 300wm is great. If not then get a 308, most animals are taken insided 200 meters. I think 30-06 can have a little to much recoil for new shooters as well.

For a new shooter I would strongly advise the 30-06.
    Ditto to this and Gates and Nighthawks advice. With the 300 win mag you will spend more on ammo and it'll punch you a lot more than 30-06 for very little gain. For realistic hunting performance you won't see much difference at the ranges where a new shooter/ hunter will be shooting for. Depending on load/bullet the 30-06 drops about an extra inch @ 300 yards under what the 300 win mag will do and roughly 4 inches below the win mags bullet @ 400 yards. I wouldn't really call that a lob when you compare performance. As a new shooter I would strongly recommend that you look into some of the lighter but equally deadly cartridges that others have recommended here. Make no doubt about it, it is harder to shoot with heavy recoil... especially for beginners.
    Consider the .300 Win Mag when you want to really reach out and touch something at much longer ranges, and have the time/skill under you belt to do that properly.
    Listen to this advice, you won't regret it.