Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

Re: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

Makes a guy wonder what's in stock for 2014 season. This plan isnt going to slow the lodges down.

Quote Originally Posted by blindguy View Post
    No they don,t and i'm not sure how this is good for only the guides? Try telling your guests they can only catch fish under 60lbs when they phone to book a trip for trophy halibut. imo it's good for no one but it's the way it's going to be for this season.
    You are correct this will be bad for guides.

If I understand correct it is 1 15lbs or less and 1 60lbs or less possession if so this part is a joke.

As someone who has booked there first ever charter for this season this is bad news. This was a trip I have been looking forward to and was to celebrate getting married. I can honestly say if I knew this was going to happen I would have booked a trip outside of BC. The money we will be spending for our trip will be around $5000 and by the sounds of this our trip will fall short of what we hoped for. If it was not for other species of interest I would be cancelling and booking else where. I had no intent in keep huge hali but a 15lbs holds no interest to me.

This will not help Vancouver islands economy

Thanks DFO for screwing the pooch once again

I've said it in previous posts and I'll say it again, the average rec .fisherman and the commercial sports sectors interests are not the same. Rec. fishermen have just been given it up the A**.These recommendations from the SFAB(not DFO) are all about extending the lodges season. It's ridiculous to think if I go for halibut I may have to let an 80 pound fish go to come home empty handed..These recommendations are not about conservation(I actually think it will cause mortalities) but all to do with business.Next time they ask you to stand together 400,000 strong and pressure the politicians for more quota remember what happened this time. They do account for between 60-70% of all halibut caught,who do you think they are going to look after.

Keta1969 I don't see this helping lodges or charters read my post above

At this time I am actually considering cancelling one of the days I have booked because of this. I will place my bets there will be cancelations at lodges and charters do to this. It may extend there season but without the clients what good is that.

Required to carry a scale and weigh the fish?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

So under this proposal could the lodges not fish under the recreational quota , which they have been doing and put any fish over 60 lbs on their IVQ poundage until the season closes . This fish could be leased or bought by the lodges which is what DFO wants anyhow . After the recreational quota is caught and we are shut down the lodges could still fish IVQ fish of any size as long as they have quota left . The price to catch a halibut for the client will increase to a per pound price on top the trip price or will be absorbed by the lodge I would guess . I think we the true recreational fishers are being bent over by the commercial sport lodges and the SFAB on this one . Some on this board are starting to see that Bob Wright and cronies are not our friends . Oh yeah , how does one weigh a thrashing 61 lb fish in the water, gaff first then measure or weigh ? There has to be a recognition that the lodges and guides are a commercial operation as their catch is going to increase as it has done .

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Required to carry a scale and weigh the fish?
    nope but a tape measure!

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Are there new transport regulations coming as well, to allow for proof of size? Otherwise how can this possibly be enforced? Guys will just fillet their fish on board. We have always done this anyways and just left the skin on as required for transportation, then stuffed the carcasses in our crab traps to soak overnight.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Are there new transport regulations coming as well, to allow for proof of size? Otherwise how can this possibly be enforced? Guys will just fillet their fish on board. We have always done this anyways and just left the skin on as required for transportation, then stuffed the carcasses in our crab traps to soak overnight.
    Read the current regs. What you've been doing isn't kosher.
    VEGETARIAN- Ancient Tribal Slang for the Village Idiot who can't Hunt or Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dryflyguy57 View Post
    So under this proposal could the lodges not fish under the recreational quota , which they have been doing and put any fish over 60 lbs on their IVQ poundage until the season closes . This fish could be leased or bought by the lodges which is what DFO wants anyhow . After the recreational quota is caught and we are shut down the lodges could still fish IVQ fish of any size as long as they have quota left . The price to catch a halibut for the client will increase to a per pound price on top the trip price or will be absorbed by the lodge I would guess . I think we the true recreational fishers are being bent over by the commercial sport lodges and the SFAB on this one . Some on this board are starting to see that Bob Wright and cronies are not our friends . Oh yeah , how does one weigh a thrashing 61 lb fish in the water, gaff first then measure or weigh ? There has to be a recognition that the lodges and guides are a commercial operation as their catch is going to increase as it has done .

so you think guides and lodges will just buy the experimental quota and keep anysize fish and keep fishing once the sport sector is shut down ? sounds great , where do i sign up? oh wait i charge 1100$ a day , buy quota at 5-7$ lb lets say 5 $ and get 100lbs of fish which would probably be on the low side so thats 500$ i have to eat or and on the price to the charter. Can't work ,won't work unless there's guys out there that want to work for free.

So us guides are taking it up the ass as much as the rest of you .It's not a good thing for anybody but the commies as they kill the fish we have to let go.