Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

Re: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

How about releasing these fish. Mortality on releasing big halibut? Circle hooks mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by blindguy View Post
    No they don,t and i'm not sure how this is good for only the guides? Try telling your guests they can only catch fish under 60lbs when they phone to book a trip for trophy halibut. imo it's good for no one but it's the way it's going to be for this season.
    Agreed, this isnt good for alot of guides, and in those areas those people are very upset (north island especially). This is also terrible for pretty much all DIY. However, this is all about extending the season, Which only benefits south island to open early and WCVI to keep open later then sept first. IN the mean time the rest of canada needs to jump through hoops all year with bullshit regualtions to appease these 2.

Btw thats just the way is see it.

One hing to note, is there are a TON of people within this process that thought this was BS, as well as people on the main board. And they should be commended. Unfortuneatly there wasnt enough of them
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 02-14-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

The BS below is the one we should be concerned about. The proposal that's in this thread is just that, a proposal. Could someone provide a link that shows that it's more than that? I can't find one.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...alibut-Licence
    VEGETARIAN- Ancient Tribal Slang for the Village Idiot who can't Hunt or Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SUAFOYT View Post
    The BS below is the one we should be concerned about. The proposal that's in this thread is just that, a proposal. Could someone provide a link that shows that it's more than that? I can't find one.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...alibut-Licence
    Its a recommendation from the SFAB to the DFO. This is how the process works.

IPHC says you have this much fish you are allowed to catch.
    DFO says Commies you get this, FN you get this, Sporties you get this.
    Sporties...
    Here are your options to fit within that Catch number.
    Chose one.

An option is voted on then passed onto DFO as thier recommendation, Yes there is a MINOOT chance that the DFO will choose not accept this but that rarely ever happens, and there is so much buffer in this that it will be 100% forsure accepted by the dfo. THe meetings were within the last few weeks and the DFO said they will be sending a fisheries notice withing 2-3 weeks. So itll be here soon as the recommended opening is march 15th. Stay tuned.
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

and lastly regarding the experimental license. This Plays PERFECTLY into the dfo's hands of guides and lodges buying quota. This is truly the beginning of the end folks... Once you buy quota you basically buy the right to catch as many halibut as you want to pay for. Worst of all, its basically on the honour system! hahahaha No daily or posession limits no size restrictions. NONE OF THAT. its a free pass as you pay for Lbs caught and all other restricitons dont matter (other then you can only fish during open commericial season). SO you get bet your britches that lodges on the north island, especially ones in winter harbour like quailcium rivers will be more then likely buying up some quota so they can still provide thier guests with the opportunity to a slab hali that they are known for and the main reason people choose them.

It pisses me off.
    Since it got cut to 1 a day, my boats been in dry dock.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Agreed, this isnt good for alot of guides, and in those areas those people are very upset (north island especially). This is also terrible for pretty much all DIY. However, this is all about extending the season, Which only benefits south island to open early and WCVI to keep open later then sept first. IN the mean time the rest of canada needs to jump through hoops all year with bullshit regualtions to appease these 2.

Btw thats just the way is see it.

One hing to note, is there are a TON of people within this process that thought this was BS, as well as people on the main board. And they should be commended. Unfortuneatly there wasnt enough of them

You nailed this bang on! i've talked to a few of the voting crew and they were just shaking there head ,but nothing they coulld do as you said just not enough of them. i'm also interested in how much of this experimental quota will get bought up? it's like there forcing the hands of some .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    It pisses me off.
    Since it got cut to 1 a day, my boats been in dry dock.

Mr. Dean i think most fisherman while not happy about one a day understand that it's going to be the norm until we can get a bigger chunk of the tac,
    most people aren't pissed at the 6 a year limit. People are pissed at the two slots we are going to have under 15lbs and under 60lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    and lastly regarding the experimental license. This Plays PERFECTLY into the dfo's hands of guides and lodges buying quota. This is truly the beginning of the end folks... Once you buy quota you basically buy the right to catch as many halibut as you want to pay for. Worst of all, its basically on the honour system! hahahaha No daily or posession limits no size restrictions. NONE OF THAT. its a free pass as you pay for Lbs caught and all other restricitons dont matter (other then you can only fish during open commericial season). SO you get bet your britches that lodges on the north island, especially ones in winter harbour like quailcium rivers will be more then likely buying up some quota so they can still provide thier guests with the opportunity to a slab hali that they are known for and the main reason people choose them.
    Absolutely. They tried this last year on an experimental trial and it was a dismal failure. Now DFO wants to make this permanent. Bloody ridiculous. Really shows who's got DFO's ear. It certainly isn't the sport sector that puts more $ into the economy.
    VEGETARIAN- Ancient Tribal Slang for the Village Idiot who can't Hunt or Fish.

I for one will not buy a lisence this year, vedors should tell dfo they wont be selling them either. A all out boycott, 400000 + all standing together should send a strong message.