Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greybark's New Toy

Greybark's New Toy

This is Greybark's new toy. I'm just posting the photos for him....the front is bacote as you can see. Pretty slick....a BW.

Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Greybark's New Toy

Hey Rollingrock , thank you for posting the pics .
    The bow is a BlackWidow PTFX model and the riser is Bacote and the limbs cored with bamboo and the veneers are bacote . This is a throwback to bow styles of the 50-60`s and is one of their original bow offerings . The simplicity and lines not only our pleasing but are very functual . To-days Olympic archers employ the same riser design in a modern version because of the built in forgiveness .
    I started out planning for a 'plain Jane 'model but the wild and wonderings of fiqured Bacote took over , Life is to short to "Carry an Ugly Bow" . LOL. Three lbs draw less then what I normally shoot (now 50lb) is so much more pleasent to handle .
    Cheers .
    PS> On Fri I`m anticipating the delivery of a Special BW PTFX bow . Stay tuned
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

What amazes me is BW usually uses clear fiber glasses on both sides. Any plans of using this bow for coming season?
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by rollingrock View Post
    What amazes me is BW usually uses clear fiber glasses on both sides. Any plans of using this bow for coming season?
    Hey Bill , It is clear fiberglass on front and back ( the pics don`t really show it ) and usually have a satin finish that reduces shine for hunting but will let an appreciative amount of grain and colour thru .
    It will be a great hunting bow with the natures camo and a three lb drop in my draw weight .
    Cheers

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

is that plywood.....LOL.......

Hey aggiehunter I note your difficulty in reading and seeing , does it affect your shooting ? LOL
    Hows your winter been ?

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Had a great winter....managed to harvest two 4pt wts with the bow..not biggies...pretty excited about the second one in Region 4 as I managed to self film the 7yard shot..now I know why they have camerman. I hope you are doing well and I see and read very well still.....and yes that is a sweet looking bow....would like try it one day...maybe see you in Ktown...Ern

Congrats GB, beautiful new toy. Absolutely love those limbs.

Hey Elkaddict , To me Bacote is quite a mixture of fine or thick grain in a random mess or in a series of tightly packed knots . If the wood is quarter cut a pattern of a mulitude of fine lines run the full lenght of the limb . The bottom pic is indicative of the actual colour .
    Bacote is relatively inexpensive and if any potential bow buyer of such shoud not be afraid to ask for (e-mail pics) of their various veneers . Then you have a problem sorting out all that eye candy . The more successful bowers have a good selection , but don`t be afraid to check out Sites like Tradgang.com as bower IdahoCurt has on occassion provided super veneers .
    Having said all this the primary function of a bow be it factory or custom is to launch an arrow in a manner that suits the archer . Bluntly stated the bow first has to be a delight to shoot with a minimum or no hand shock , a natural hand fitting riser and It must shoot where you look . The purrty comes later and only if you wish .

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Very pretty piece if wood. Don't go beating any snakes with that stick!

I assume you're just checking it for hand fit and comfort before they mount the cams?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.