Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dead honkers!

Re: Dead honkers!

Nice beat down boys!

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Looks like fun way to go, how are they to eat? are they dry,tough ect?.

Stringy,tough, and riddled with worms!!! Best stick to chicken?----Cheers----Field Marshal.

WOW! Dave. What a SLAUGHTER !!! The honkers we get, we have made into pepperoni. Only way I've found to make them taste good. What else do you do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKiller View Post
    WOW! Dave. What a SLAUGHTER !!! The honkers we get, we have made into pepperoni. Only way I've found to make them taste good. What else do you do with them?
    Pepperoni here to, today was an exceptional day...

Thanx for the deek spread pattern Lorne, they came right in on the pocket....

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    Looks like fun way to go, how are they to eat? are they dry,tough ect?.
    The ones in the Okanagan taste like bad liver only way we been able to enjoy is doing as very spicy pepperoni even still not that great
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I cubed one up, flash seared it in olive oil, then added it as he meat in a combination of 2 Irish stew recipes I had. Turned out amazing! There is another member on this site who tried the same recipe and had his "picky" kids devour it!! My sis-n-law, who is not a wild game eater, tried it, then asked for a tupper ware full for lunch the next day...may have to post it in the recipe section...
    "Put ear plugs in before you shoot.... its stupid loud if the muzzles in the house! FYI" - SHAKER

whats shaking with the dead honkers in the comox valley?
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Nothing! Havent hunted.....There are a few spots with birds , but one thats holding the most (100 or so honkers and 50 or so specks) we dont have permission on. Could try and run traffic i guess as we have permission right next to it, but we would be in a plowed potatoe field thats soaking wet and the birds are going into a winter wheat feild. Alot of work for a maybe. lol We do have about 70-100 birds that just showed up in one of our fields (winter wheat as well) but they are landing right behind one of the barns and the farmer would perfer to wait till they move further. Anyway im sure it will come together before the end of the season at least once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I'm using the same kind of spread pattern here too.
    I like to put out a black coat to look like a dog (to the geese anyway) in an area the birds want to land but I don't want them to. It will keep them from landing there, and they often will come to where I'm set up. I've fooled many poor honkers with this.