Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Brant Season

Re: 2013 Brant Season

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    i must have the wrong idea of how far a shotgun can shoot, we were 540 yards off the beach. hell of a long way for shot to travel to rattle windows....d
    So let me get this straight, Brian is upset saying that at 442 yards and he could see each decoy and that those guys were way too close to another hunter but you feel that 540 yards in front of a bunch of people (not hunters) eating breakfast at their kitchen table is a hell of way out? Seems they didn't see it that way but whatever lets ya sleep I guess! K

sure sounds like some of you are having a good time. Unfortunately I wish I were 10km south where you guys were but I was at Reifel Sanctuary all day, sure saw a lot of camo though at the sanctuary and a fair share of hunters at wellington launch. Also saw two brant rigs parked in ladner.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    So let me get this straight, Brian is upset saying that at 442 yards and he could see each decoy and that those guys were way too close to another hunter but you feel that 540 yards in front of a bunch of people (not hunters) eating breakfast at their kitchen table is a hell of way out? Seems they didn't see it that way but whatever lets ya sleep I guess! K
    I do not hunt brant so I do not have a dog in this fight however it seems obvious. 100M from buildings occupied by livestock or humans is legal, 540 yards is 5 X legal. As stated many times on this fourm, if its legal leave it alone. That being said to set up within 440 yds of another man's spread is just trying to capitalize on birds swinging into your neighbours decoys, very poor sportsmanship indeed.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Alright you old brant hunters!! Here's a couple of questions! On Beach grove spit, by law how far apart did rigs have to be seperated from one another? Also ,what was the maximum number of decoys allowed in a set?? I forgot the old rules so I"m asking the grey whisker crowd.
    I remember Lee Straight in his Sun report telling us how early guys used to camp out at the spit to get the best blinds for opening day!!
    Too bad the beach got closed for gunning!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    I do not hunt brant so I do not have a dog in this fight however it seems obvious. 100M from buildings occupied by livestock or humans is legal, 540 yards is 5 X legal. As stated many times on this fourm, if its legal leave it alone. That being said to set up within 440 yds of another man's spread is just trying to capitalize on birds swinging into your neighbours decoys, very poor sportsmanship indeed.
    There's a significant difference between what is legal and what is ethical in the eyes of non hunting public and obviously us hunters also. Unfortunatley in this day and age we have to air on the side of caution and try and do what we do with out ruffling any feathers of the non hunting public. My initial response had everything to do with the knee jerk reaction about calling the authorities on each other and to a lesser degree with the legality of it. jmho K

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Alright you old brant hunters!! Here's a couple of questions! On Beach grove spit, by law how far apart did rigs have to be seperated from one another? Also ,what was the maximum number of decoys allowed in a set?? I forgot the old rules so I"m asking the grey whisker crowd.
    I remember Lee Straight in his Sun report telling us how early guys used to camp out at the spit to get the best blinds for opening day!!
    Too bad the beach got closed for gunning!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.
    I don't qualify as part of the grey whisker crowd but I do know that we were only allowed 50 decoys inside a line from the end of 64th to the marker and as many as you want outside that. I don't know if there ever was a rule about how far apart they had to be but I may be wrong. There's a big difference between punt shooting and shooting off the beach as you couldn't cork another pit on the beach. I remember as a kid I would get a week or two outta school to hold the pit when the bay froze up, those were some fun times. K

There's a significant difference between what is legal and what is ethical in the eyes of non hunting public and obviously us hunters also. Unfortunatley in this day and age we have to air on the side of caution and try and do what we do with out ruffling any feathers of the non hunting public. My initial response had everything to do with the knee jerk reaction about calling the authorities on each other and to a lesser degree with the legality of it. jmho K

I fully understand your point, however what you need to understand is, that 100M + 10 may be pusshing the boundries, 100M + 1/4 Mi. is perfectly legal, acceptable, and safe. There comes a point that we are being infringed on and when we start hiding our sport and denying it we are taking steps to make it an underground culture and the antis have gained more ground on us. The lads in Kelowna prooved that when faced with the public and a news crew by handeling the situation with respect and class a blow can be struck and gains made for all hunters. It is time we drew our line respectfully in the sand and stood proudly up for our sport and in this case I believe legal + 1/4mile is an acceptable place to draw that line.
    Last edited by FirePower; 03-04-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

You can hunt 100m from a residence. But shoot towards that residence is a different thing altogether.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Grey whiskers, old? . We we all allowed 50 decoys. 6 pits at 2ooyds apart. But we were in a line on the beach, side by side. The line K is talking about was there so the layouts could not set up in front of us.( and its way more that 440 yds). I guess what some don't realize is the Brant come in at the front of the bay, and we were at the Coal Port, and when some one sets up last and front of everyone else, while your looking to see birds all day and all you see is their spread in front of you its dishearten ing..Its not like Geese that will come in from any angle. I would of had no problem with them setting 440 yards between Monty and I, or even behind us. Also your pocket is set up into the wind, and on Saturday it was SE so I was looking through my pocket, to the mouth of the bay only to be seeing them all day.

I'm done with this now as this was Gunners thread on Brant hunting, so for that I apologize Murray! As far as the other B.S. goes I think I made myself clear and am gonna leave it alone, for now! Let's get out there and have some fun! K