Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Brant Season

Re: 2013 Brant Season

Thanks for the pics Brian,and you too Adam!Electrical problem?Gotta hear the story on that one!One more day,it looks to have been a pretty good season with plenty of birds around and no more than the usual number of screwups.Everybody got through safely thats the most important thing.Hammer em' tomorrow!By the way my buddies that I gave my decoys and layout blinds to finally had a good shoot on spring honkers.All 4 of them tubbed,thats 40 birds down.They offered to quad me out to the blinds this morning,but I'm afraid those days are done.Good Luck to all on the last day,Cheers....Murray
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

man you guys are amazing constant limits,can't wait to reach this level of water fowling.

murray, jack and i went out today and the 100 figure was broken today for the superport,without phil and red,s help..hopefully tomorrow will bring it over 120 or so....dale

And to think we saw roughly 400 brant fall in 3 days in Mexico.

Limit could be 3 and I honestly don't see how an extra 50 brant would affect much.

I know it's the wintering population model but still birds migrate and fluctuate in numbers.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    i like my space f350 the bay is good for me,i haven't done too shabby for a rookie.
    No shit, I hope you don't think it's always this easy! Ya gotta quit corking us though. K

careful f350 now everyone will know my secret to success.plus you triple my decoy spread!!

Well Murray I was out yesterday with that government fella that hunts brant and we had a real good time, altho no birds in the boat . He's great company in a punt, a pretty good hand with a longline, and is a fount of knowledge about everything from tree tops to stagnant ponds and the slime on the bottom that dickie's eat---knows a thing or two about the local politics too. He coulda had his limit when I called four birds in for a gimme shot at 65 yds. but he missed --- I let him, as guest-in-the-boat, shoot first and altho I shot at them after his go they were long gone by then, so I missed two too---'course they did have a pretty good tail wind by then in that westerly that was blowin'. I didn't take any photographs 'cause of course what good's a picture of a stump or the bottom of the beach without some dead birds to liven it up. I see my old apprentice is still whackin' and stackin' over at social-club-bay. I was out with him the other day, as I told you I'd be, and we had a good shoot on a westerly. Miracle-of-miracles, we had the bay entirely to ourselves and were able to set up in my old sweet spot--first time I've been able to get in that spot in years----most days I'm too lazy to get up early enough to be there in time to claim it. That was real sweet and brought back fond memories of my younger years when that was the norm. 'course that morning I was under strict orders , as I said earlier , to be on my driveway at 5 am sharp----and I was, too, so that by the time His Lordship pulled up at 5:15 am. I was shivering so bad I could barely climb up into the truck ( he says I confused the time but that's a load 'a bull)..Then , to top that off, we had to launch into the teeth of a nasty little westerly with the result that I ended up standing in the surf holding the bow of his bloody great battleship punt into the waves, with waves breaking over my head, while he finished his smoke and struggled into his boots. He's a pretty clever brant hunter and comes up with lots of inventions and fancy ideas about how to set decoys. He's even come up with a way to completely hide his punt from the view of incoming birds behind a string of 7 decoys that he's figured out a special way of setting up downwind of the boat. And another great thing-------he's got a duck decoy that has it's own two propellers so it'll swim around in his set--I think he plans to cover it with a brant shell 'cause I can't see a mallard bein' much attraction to the brants. I figure that if he ever thinks of a way to keep it from flipping over and sinking like it did when he showed it to me, well then the rest of the set-ups may as well just take a nap until he's pulled his set and gone home.. Anyway, I do have a few photos from day 3 that I'm gonna put on here that show us set up on the mud in the sunshine. Take care pal.
    http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEhxyUu

Well murray, it's over . I was out with Sydnee's boyfriend today and we got skunked....which has its upside nothing to clean. So lets just watch them leave the bay till next year. Still enjoying your book,give me a call, I'm back to work tomorrow, so keep me posted please on how its going Buddy..

Well she's done for another year!It looks like everybody had a good time,and plenty of birds got dusted.Dale, if you get some final numbers from Jack I'd be interested in seeing them.If theres any more pics to come I'd love to see them too.And I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone who posted on this thread,some are old friends,others are new friends and some I don't know.We are all held together by our love of hunting those crazy little sea geese.There is no place in the world I would rather have been than out in the Bay with Branthunter(remember the whale Bob? ),or at the Superport with Stillwater,or who knows where with F350.But I can't be there and all the pics and stories made that easier to live with.Thank you all......Murray
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Hey Murray, it was a good showing this year, probably the best I've seen in many many years. We didn't break any records numbers wise but it had to be one of the more enjoyable years in recent memory, only thing missing was you man! When I get the numbers from Jack I'll give ya call and give ya a play by play! Take Care, K