Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waterfowl on vancouver island

waterfowl on vancouver island

i am relativley new to hunting and i was just wondering if its worth hunting ducks and geese on vancouver island due to the fact ive heard that htey all taste fishy and distgusting? is this true?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: waterfowl on vancouver island

I am in the mid-island. I get the occasional "fishy" mallard, but it is definitely worth it. Find a good spot, set up and let 'em have it. You will form your own oppinion pretty quick that way.
    Blacktail Nut

is there any good areas for a beginner to go around nanamo-cedar area?

Public waterfowl hunting at Nanaimo River Estuary. It's in your back yard. I do relatively good there.
    Hooked on quack.

thats past the native reserve right? and also do you set up blinds and all that stuff or do u just go around in a boat untill you find some and then shoot em?

Passed the reserve. Lots of natural cover. You don't need a boat.

Spend a day there and watch the ducks fly around. You can't expect to limit out your first day this late in the season but learn where to go now and you will score lots of ducks next season.
    I will be going there lots in the new year. My truck has the big DU sticker in the back window and I have 2 chocolate labs. Say hi if you see me.

See ya there.

PS watch the tide guide.
    Hooked on quack.

Quote Originally Posted by smeegle
    thats past the native reserve right? and also do you set up blinds and all that stuff or do u just go around in a boat untill you find some and then shoot em?
    I hope you mean "go around in the boat until you find some birds, set up your decoys, and wait for birds to come in". Your explanation sounds like you could be shooting from a moving boat (which is ok if you are rowing or paddling a canoe etc. No power boats unless not under power). There was a guy inthe Pitt that was doing this, I'm sure. Haven't seen him but last year I saw him 3 times with his young son powering him. Never saw him shoot but he looked to have a gun ready and was motoring slow around the marsh....
    Good luck out there.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

is it a popular hunting spot down there? cuz i was thinking of just taking my dog for a walk down there one day when the tide is low but i dont wanna piss off hunters with a loose dog running around

There are more people walking their dog than hunting usually. Maybe send me a PM if you have more questions. Glad to help.
    Hooked on quack.

Awesome duck hunting if you know a farmer with a flooded corn or barley field. It should almost be illegal to hunt them this way (but who's complaining). Duck hunting in estuaries is hit and miss. Some ducks are fishy, some are OK.