Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hayhouse blind

Hybrid View

hayhouse blind

as a new waterfowler, part of the excitement is looking for new equipment. After considering the type of hunting i will be doing, mostly fields, as i dont have a boat or dog,lol, i started looking at layout blinds, but i'm kind of hesitant on them, as most of my hunting will be done with my brother, and we both have back troubles. While searching for layouts, i came across the Ameristep Hayhouse blind on sale at Cabelas, and decided to give it a shot.
    I recieved it yesterday, just in time for tomorrow's goose opening , and set it up today in my brothers field. First impressions are good, very easy to set up, only took me about 5 minutes, handy that it fits in its own backpack when folded down, quite light, wouldn't weigh any more than a layout would, and plenty of interior room for two men and their gear. Vision is fantastic, with windows in all sides, it's almost 360 degrees, and the shooting port opens really quickly with one pull. There are lots of straps to brush it up, and tie downs for windy conditions. All in all, I am quite impressed, and spent about an hour in it after I set it up, watching Mallards and Widgeons landing in front of me in between the goose decoys set up for tomorrow, so I am feeling confidant that the geese will not be spooked by it

packed up

set up, shooting port open

interior

grassed up and ready for tomorrow

2. Site Sponsor

Re: hayhouse blind

Put a sheet of plywood on the floor so that stools won't puncture through.
    Looks good.

My only qualm is that it ain't very portable when grassed up.
    Last edited by Mr. Dean; 02-10-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

W use one looks and works great no need for PW on the floor(our 3rd season with ours). just use the stools with the U shapped legs NOT the tripods.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    W use one looks and works great no need for PW on the floor(our 3rd season with ours). just use the stools with the U shapped legs NOT the tripods.
    Yup, all my stools are pods.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    Yup, all my stools are pods.
    Ha mine are usually five coil steamers! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    5 gal buckets work too

Thinking of getting one of these, how is it working? Is it easy to blend in with surrounding cover?

I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet this year, been working in Alberta, and I just got back, so I haven't had a chance to get out yet this year, but that is about to change I used it for about two weeks during spring goose season and it worked great, easy to blend in, so far I'm pretty happy with it. I will let you know in a few days how it works on ducks,lol

Ordered one up tonight off eBay should be here end of the week.

what i don't like about them is your gonna need to be set up on an edge of field,birds already weary of edges.cant beat a layout blind for many field set ups.