Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Natives block Hunters in Chilcotin

Natives block Hunters in Chilcotin

This is my first post. The following is a news item that affects us all as hunters.

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. - Dozens of hunters hoping to bag a moose in the Chilcotin's Nemiah Valley have been turned back at two First Nations roadblocks.

The Tsilqot'in National Government says it's stopping non-native hunters and ATV riders to protect their food supply in the area southwest of Williams Lake.

"If they look like they're hunters, we prevent them from going through," says Tsilqot'in spokesperson Joe Alphonse.

"If they want to continue into the area, that's fine so long as they hand over their moose tags to us."

INDEPTH: First Nations in British Columbia

Chilcotin rancher Duncan Baynes is angry after he was stopped at one of the roadblocks.

"You know, these people are taking the law into their own hands," he says. "I don't think natives should be doing this. I don't think it's a way to win friends and influence people."

Baynes says dozens of hunters who travelled to the area and were turned back are also angry – and he says it gives B.C. "a black eye."

The MLA for the area, Walt Cobb, says his office is hearing from some of those hunters. "Roadblocks are illegal to start with. The people have a right to hunt out there."

The Alexis Creek RCMP say they're monitoring the blockade, but have no plans to intervene. Police say the blockades are set up in an area that's the subject of a land claims battle that's before the courts.

Meanwhile, the Tsilquot'in says it's planning to set up a third road block to keep non-native hunters out of the Chilcotin

I will be up there mid October hunting moose so hopefully they'll go home by then.

2. Site Sponsor

The Alexis Creek RCMP say they're monitoring the blockade, but have no plans to intervene.
    So the RCMP is allowing taxpaying citizens to be turned away from the use of crown lands by people who are breaking the law???? What a crock of sh*t!! I am absolutely sick of all this molly-coddling bullsh*t when it comes to the natives of this country. A good percentage of the natives in this country filing landclaims showed up here after being driven up from the States AFTER my family was allready here. These natives are also entitled to rights and priveledges not afforded to me even though my family was here first!
    I will cut this off here before I really get going and lose my temper, sorry for the rant

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I'm almost tempted to go moose hunting there just see what they intend to do to stop a well armed, well motivated moose hunter from setting up his law abiding and 100% legal moose camp.

any buddy wanna get to gether fora good old moose hunt i figured if even a quater of the members here where to go it would be interesting...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

As far as I am concerned, until such a time as the courts actually say that the area in question really is native land, then the said land is crown land and open to tax paying citizens. The day I hand over my moose tag to anyone other than a CO or an RCMP officer will be the day they play the Stanley Cup in Hades.

I spoke with Alexis Creek RCMP and they told me that they do not want to intervene and start a gun battle. I thought their job was to uphold the law. This blockade is illegal. Does this mean that anyone can set up a blockade when they feel they have a justifiable reason? Maybe someone should blockade them in to prevent them from getting out of their reservation. See how long that lasts.

I think if a few shots were fired and some tires blown out then the RCMP would have to take action and remove the blockade otherwise I can see this expanding into other areas to prevent hunters getting through.

the police just arrested a bunch of guys here cuz of ther blockade at sun peaks i think the cops there are just being chicken shit...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

native roadblocks

this is exactly what hunters said when the land claims issues were coming up-that natives would controll all hunting in the province, and the government would give into them- just as they have the salmon fishery.
    My opinion is we are all canadians and the sooner we all are on a level playing field the better.One law, based on conservation, for everybody.I have no issue with Natives controlling their own reserve, or selling hunting privileges on it- but to go beyond that onto Crown land is too much.However, I also think the government will cede hunting rights to them as part of a settlement package.It's naive to think otherwise.

technically a status card does not give a native the right to hunt or fish...they still have to go and get there hunting and fishing card adn they are suppose to actaully stay on reserve land...

adn they are suppose to actaully stay on reserve land...
    I don't beleive thats the case 3kills, they are supposed to hunt on what is considered "traditional hunting grounds". Now what that is exactly is kind of a grey area, and basically covers the entire province. The only stumbling block they have to hunting another area is getting permission from the band who has "claim" on the land they want to hunt. Lord help us if they are ever granted sole hunting rights to these areas. They will be selling hunting priveledges as fast as people will pay, and when the critters have been wiped out, they will blame the white folks and scream for restitution. We have seen this happen in the logging industry time and again, I doubt it would be any different if they were given control over areas for hunting purposes. I have seen one case where a company bought a sizeable amount of timber from a band here, paid for up front....when it came time to log it they threw up a road block claiming it was their timber and when it went to court, the court allowed them to keep the timber......NO money was ever reunded to the company who bought the timber. The native have been allowed to have their cake and eat it too, and it would be no dierent in this situation.

Just my opinion,
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson