Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday hunt

Re: Sunday hunt

#3's are my all around favourite, but since of the birds I shoot in BC are puddle ducks decoying, #4's work fine and if I could get some 6's I would, but I pick my shots!

As for 20's there much fewer choices then 12. I shoot 7/8oz of #4's, which means I'm putting out about 2/3rds of what I would with my 1 1/4 oz 12ga shells. I shoot an older gun, so going to 2's is a bit of a concern in that they don't move as much in leaving the barrel as 4's and there is a slim chance of choke issues, but I'd rather be safe. There are a few makers of 1oz loads, but they are pricier then the ones I've been getting by a big margin.

The real trick with 20's, well any shotgun is set up to get the birds in close, and then pick your shot and make it count!

Oh, and the #1 thing to do to killl more ducks...

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Very best,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F.
    #3's are my all around favourite, ---snip---

Oh, and the #1 thing to do to killl more ducks...
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
    Very best, Ian
    I really see a big difference in my shooting this season compared to last year. This past summer I spent a lot of time at the trap range and probably fired off more shells than I have in the last 10 years combined. I believe I went through 3 cases of shells, maybe more, so that's over 750 shots.
    Victor and I were talking about that on the weekend and while we agree trap is a rather simple shooting exercise, familiarity with your gun and confidence is a big plus in the field and shooting trap accomplishes this. Another thing it can do is let you know if something isn't quite right with your fit/pattern of your gun. If you are at the range there is ample opportunity to try different guns out (get to know guys a bit before you ask... ), you may find your gun just isn't suited to you and something else is. I shoot around 22/25 on average 16yd trap with my Browning, 18 with the SKB (but I made an adjustment to the stock now so I hope it's better), and my dad gave me his Pederson O/U which I took out once and although it felt great and seemed to point good, scored me a 5/25 at 16 yd trap! I expected to really do well with the Pederson,.. my dad did when he shot it but for some reason I couldn't hit anything. I will try a few things to see if I can shoot the gun but otherwise it will stay on the shelf until I find something to trade it for.
    I'm in the process of getting an I/C choke barrel for my SKB auto from the states (got my import forms yesterday). I'm going to shoot more skeet this summer which I think will really improve my wingshooting.
    The 20 guage is a nice gun to shoot but most of us have a tendency to not pick our shots like Ian and we end up handicaping ourselves if we use it for ducks. Don't get me wrong, I hunted with a 20 wingmaster when I was a teenager (first gun) and did well with it but that was at a time with lead shot and 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot carries a lot of pellets. The average hunter shooting 7/8oz of #2 steel will probably have more lost birds using a 20ga unless they only take high percentage shots at closer range. Ian showed what can be done when he brought his SXS 20ga out on a hunt with me. I believe he limited out and fired less than 15 shots, I think I shot over 20 times that day.....
    Hope to see more of the guys here at the Pitt Meadows Trap and Skeet club this year. We shoot every sunday and wednesday nights in the summer. Dave and I are there most of the time.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano
    Hope to see more of the guys here at the Pitt Meadows Trap and Skeet club this year. We shoot every sunday and wednesday nights in the summer. Dave and I are there most of the time.
    Dan
    Where is T&S club located and is it private or day pass too?

and...

American skeet (to differentiate it from International) was designed int he 1930's by hunters as practice. It has every common field shot in it and causes you to learn lead and swing. Some complain about the distance being to close (21yards) but who cares, when you go run 25 on skeet then start pounding your chest, and move onto sporting clays to humble you back down.

By comparison, and as Dano eludes to, trap is a game, a total head game! I used to shot registered trap and stopped, not for me I like the social aspect and less serious nature of the skeet field. Trap emulates driven Pheasant a bristish aristocracy shooting sport where folks line up and servants beat the bushes behind them and the pheasents fly over head and away. Good for gun fit and feel, but you need not move your gun more then 8" to break every possible (handicap included) trap single.

But, at the end of the day, you shoot 25 rounds at pop cans or dirt, you are better then if you didn't!

Very best,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by 308BAR
    Where is T&S club located and is it private or day pass too?
    Pitt Meadows Gun club is near the Pitt river just south of the Pitt River bridge. Easy to find, if coming from Port Coquitlam you take the first right at the light after crossing the bridge. Follow the road as it curves back and over train tracks and a slough until it heads back towards the Pitt River, then the road tuns left to parrallel the dyke. A minute or so later you'll see a white sign with Pitt Meadows Gun Club and turn left there. The road goes a 100yds maybe and splits, go left and just up on the right is another sign PMRG (something like that) and you tun right and go on back to the range. It's maybe 3 minutes from the highway unless a train is on the tracks, then it can become 20 minutes!
    You can shoot for the day for $10. I bought 2 day passes and then they applied that to my membership fee of $60 for the year. You can buy shells there for $7 a box and each round of 25 cost you $4.25. You can buy shells for about $21 for 4 boxes at Canadian Tire or places like Smoking Gun of Westwood in Coquitlam (or is it still PoCo?), they sell for about $50 including taxes for 10 boxes of trap loads including taxes (use cash for this). A good group of members, a very laid back day of shooting. I believe they shoot pretty much every sunday, wednesday nights in the summer. I think there's something on Boxing Day (prize shoot of somekind). I may go check it out but I'm more of a summertime shortsleeve trap shooter!
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano
    Pitt Meadows Gun club is near the Pitt river ........I may go check it out but I'm more of a summertime shortsleeve trap shooter!
    Dan
    Thanks Dano for all the info I didn't know they existed. Damn...I love where I live so close to all the fun spots.