Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Crow Hunting

Re: Crow Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Brain fart, my bad. For some reason I thought it was a license thing. You need a hunting license to shoot crows, unless on private property.

My answer would be that as long as you can hunt ducks there, you can hunt crows (with a license). Follow all local laws, should not be an issue. I don't think migratory bird seasons have any impact, it's whether or not it's an open shooting area.
    However, if someone from the West End is walking Mr Wigglebottoms IV, and you start blasting crows out of the sky, I see more letters to the editor.
    Lotsa farms up the valley, find a friendly one and hunt away.
    First of all, WTF is this thread doing in the waterfowl section? The mod should have been on it right away......

Have to agree with the Dude here. Be sure to evaluate the areas you intend to hunt with respect to it's use by non-hunters. Although it may be legal to shoot there, there's a lot more people out on dykes during the spring and summer months and some of them like to write letters to the local newspapers and contact council about shooting in these areas. It can lead to these areas being closed year round to shooting. Farms and private property will always be a better option if available and usually offer better shooting too.
    Years ago I had permission to hunt a farm when the farmer was doing his haying. The crows were coming in to pick up mice and we got on their flyway and had a great shoot!
    Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    First of all, WTF is this thread doing in the waterfowl section? The mod should have been on it right away......

Have to agree with the Dude here. Be sure to evaluate the areas you intend to hunt with respect to it's use by non-hunters. Although it may be legal to shoot there, there's a lot more people out on dykes during the spring and summer months and some of them like to write letters to the local newspapers and contact council about shooting in these areas. It can lead to these areas being closed year round to shooting. Farms and private property will always be a better option if available and usually offer better shooting too.
    Years ago I had permission to hunt a farm when the farmer was doing his haying. The crows were coming in to pick up mice and we got on their flyway and had a great shoot!
    Dano
    Good points all, and yes a hay mowing shoot is top drawer.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

As long as the crows go ca honk should be in the waterfowl for at least the next month Dano. As for shooting near water ie. the Fraser it might be a good idea if you used non toxic shot as well as what the others have posted about public use of the dykes.

Dano
    Kinda wondered that one myself. We used to do the hay mowwing shoot what a blast, stop for lunch break out the 12 ga and just stand by the tractor they just keep coming
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Dano, sorry I should have put this in another category. My bad, I have looked at quite a few places for good groups of crows. Only area that was open to shooting and had lots(hundreds) is the island across from island 22, But you need a boat to get to it. I agree farms and farmers are the best bet. Berry and corn fields are where I am starting right after goose season! One more day ! i can't wait!

hellfish

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Ah, I though they were a "no lic required" animal. If you need a lic, then the crows are considered wildlife, so you probably need the plugged shotgun. Too bad though, as sometimes crow shooting is fast and furious! Unplugged shotguns would be a real asset!
    Nope, no plug required! That's only for upland and migratory birds. I talked to a CO today in Terrace, and he said " no plug needed, lead is ok and dispose of them discreetly".

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    i pound crows. Like chicken wings, only crow wings. Dipped in franks red hot and ranch.

Ooooo son!

Lorne
    crow pot pie!!

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Nope, no plug required! That's only for upland and migratory birds. I talked to a CO today in Terrace, and he said " no plug needed, lead is ok and dispose of them discreetly".
    Good to know!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish Hunter View Post
    Dano, sorry I should have put this in another category. My bad, I have looked at quite a few places for good groups of crows. Only area that was open to shooting and had lots(hundreds) is the island across from island 22, But you need a boat to get to it. I agree farms and farmers are the best bet. Berry and corn fields are where I am starting right after goose season! One more day ! i can't wait!

hellfish
    Something to remember for later in the year, pumpkin patches in late October. K

Does anyone out there still Crow hunt....i have some questions?