Thread: Just an idea,...

Just an idea,...

With high wolf numbers lately in many parts of BC and growing concerns about possible declines in moose numbers in places like Reg 5 (and elk/deer numbers elsewhere) guys are getting understandably concerned about a loss of opportunity to hunt. I know I was anticipating a drop in LEH numbers for this coming fall but that has fortunately not been the case (at least on the east side of the Fraser). Despite this, LEH authorizations still only come around every few years if you're lucky, may never come if you're not. There is currently nothing you can do about this except wait till you get lucky or head north.

Back to the wolves, government has been concerned enough about moose/mountain caribou numbers in the east Cariboo region to open a very liberal wolf season with no bag limit and no closed season. Despite this great opportunity, I've met very few people who specifically and seriously target wolves in their hunting activity.

So here is an idea to get hunters in involved in managing the predator/prey balance. When hunters kill a wolf in areas of concern, they bring the fresh cracass or fresh hide to a compulsory inspector to have it verified as a wolf (not the neighbors big dog). The CI then gives the hunter a unique one-time-use code to enter on his LEH application card for a garrenteed moose draw in the same unit the wolf was killed in. This could be run for as long as is neccessary to bring wolf numbers back down to manageable levels. It would encourage hunters to get out for a wolf with the incentive of following up with a moose draw. I would save government money in that they would not need to charter helicopters and shooters to cull wolves as has been done in the past.

I know for me What do you guys think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Just an idea,...

I've seen Dave Mathews hunt in the states where you take a Doe show it to the powers that be and you get a buck tag. It's a good way to have incentive to get hunters to help control population, only thing I would change would be three wolfs for a draw.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Not a bad ideer actually. I think though more than one wolf would be better because a guy could shoot 3 wolves and give them to his buddies or if he has no scruples, sell them.

naw , dont like it . it would "guarantee" most of the draws to locals that have way more opportunity to take a wolf . I would rather just see a bounty on wolves .

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    naw , dont like it . it would "guarantee" most of the draws to locals that have way more opportunity to take a wolf . I would rather just see a bounty on wolves .
    Good one too. With the amount of economic benefit to the province that hunters contribute they could probably put a pretty hefty bounty on them too.

Despite the high numbers, killing a wolf is not easy by any means. It is not a matter of simply driving around and seeing dozens of wolves running around. A one wolf for one LEH trade is fair and attainable. As far as it making it a "locals only" draw, not so. It ensures only guys who are willing to invest the time, effort and money required to manage the predators in their favorite area are garrenteed a draw. Everyone else can still enter for the surplus tags.