Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowichan Bay hunters - time to write the Cowichan Valley Citizen

Cowichan Bay hunters - time to write the Cowichan Valley Citizen

Well this loon-bar will be happy at the end of the week I guess. Me thinks a few - more than a few letters should go to the Citizen. This lady's eyesight has obviously diminished over the years, along with her mental capacity. Reason #5 - amazing!

http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalle...4-7019f54aa157

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cowichan Bay hunters - time to write the Cowichan Valley Citizen

All you serial duck killers need to step off....they legalize abortion, and now this. Whats next, aborting baby fetus ducks? You duck hunters make me shake my head. I've got a tea party planned for January 18th with several other duck loving ladies, to celebrate the fact that your legalized murder of wild fowls is finally over.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Read it yesterday in the paper and I'm still laughing, what a wing nut!

5. Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!
    6. Endangering the lives of those citizens who enjoy walking along the estuary or spend time in the land preserve of the big maples. Who cares? Let them stay home! Take your pets and children somewhere else! This Valley belongs to hunters!
    7. Leaving garbage, shells and other hunting paraphernalia along the paths. Thank you! Who needs to pick up their trash anyway? Certainly not hunters!
    Julia Star Cowichan Bay
    Wow I cant beleive they even printed this letter ! Now are kids are labelled serial killers . I for one would like the news paper to have her back her statements up with proof. The editer should be fired for publishing this letter without researching it Him/herself. Wow what a load of bull.

Write a letter to them Spy. I agree, what absolutely poor choice of publishing.

Read it yesterday in the paper and I'm still laughing, what a wing nut!
    This opinion piece was provided by Julia Star, spiritual councilor... enough said.

"Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!"

This woman is clearly nuts. She should be locked up. Law abiding gun owners and hunters are not the problem - mental health issues need more attention these days.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

What a wacko... the geeee, ducks, and swans are fewer down there for the lack of healthy grass on the dinsdale. Thousands of birds rely on that feild to feed on, then they fly over the estuary to buzz around and eat whatever else they eat. Maybe these people could learn a few things. Hunting has such a small impact on fowl populations, especially in our flyway. The bay would've had the same number of birds there even if there was no hunting season... my letter is definately going in. Hunting is my life and cowichan bay is where I was raised.

Longshot jr.

Here is my letter to the editor of the Cowichan Valley Citizen. If you like hunting there, get on it.

Dear Editor;

This letter is in response to the piece that appeared in your opinion column submitted by Julia Star and published in your January 16 Cowichan Valley Citizen. I am actually very surprised that any editor would publish such an outlandish piece full of misconceptions and untruths.

Ms. Star obviously does not believe in hunting and that is her prerogative. It is interesting that she chose wait to submit this piece until just prior to the end of the duck season ( January 18th). Cowichan Bay has been open to waterfowl hunting since Thanksgiving weekend, the usual opening for many, many years.
    I would like to address some of her statements. 1) Yes, prime shooting time, and legal time is one half hour prior to sunrise...it closes one half hour after sunset. Many hunters work all week and the weekend is their time to hunt.

2) There are more swans in this valley and on Vancouver Island than there has been ever, just ask any farmer that has them devastating their grass fields. Drive by next week, or check out some of the scenic back roads of the Valley for swans. Also, they can be seen year round at Somenos marsh.

3) Migrating ducks do what migrating ducks do, and that is usually head out on a high pressure system just before big storm and head south. A large amount of mallards did this back in November. At the estuary you can still see mallards, widgeon, pintails, teal, bluebills, buffleheads, scoters, mergansers and more.

4) Birders still do come and see the above birds. Hunters also contribute monies to the local economy, especially those of us who live here. In addition through the purchase of licenses and the Canadian Migratory Bird permit contribute monies to waterfowl enhancement. Then of course there are all those that belong to groups such as Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited, both groups contribute millions to wetlands enhancement projects.

5) "Teach children that to be a man or macho woman is to destroy the lives of others for the pointless activity of killing wild animals. This is perhaps your greatest success! Most serial killers begin by killing and torturing animals. So let's breed more serial killers! More terror! More fun!" This statement alone discredits anything the woman had to say that came anything close to reality. As a woman I like to hunt, I cook what I kill and feed my family. Nothing macho about it. I know many women who hunt that are as feminine as they come. I suppose Ms. Star does not eat. Anyone who eats contributes to the death of animals, yes even vegetarians. As for serial killer, that is possibly the most outlandish statement Ms. Star made. Hunters come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, businessmen, farmers, writers etc. It is not the kids that hunt and fish that become these raving lunatics. Kids that live in the unreal world of video games and have no contact with the realities of life and death are far more likely to commit these types of crimes.

6) Endangering lives of people walking. First rule of hunting is "know your target and what is beyond". I am not saying everyone is perfect, but I do know that Cowichan Bay is closely watched by both the RCMP and Conservation Officers and that if there were offences committed I am sure your fine paper would jump to report them.

7) Leaving garbage. Yes, it happens. Unfortunately like any other group of people the hunting community has it's polluters. I know that we always clean up, and also pick up after others, including items that have nothing to do with hunters or hunting.

Cowichan Bay is one of the very few public waterfowl hunting areas on Vancouver Island. Hopefully, the hunters of Vancouver Island that enjoy the bounty Cowichan Bay offers will get equal press.

Good letter Tanya!
    There must have been a letter go out to all the anti's the last week or so telling them to write the local papers. We have an article in our local paper about a lady seeing a hunter shoot into a ditch at a duck. She didn't know hunting was permitted in the area and took the long way back because she was worried about her safety. She called police, they came out and everything checked out and she was informed of that. She thinks there should be signs if hunting is permitted in the area.
    Let us know if they print your letter,
    Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!