Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: living with a walker coonhound

Re: living with a walker coonhound

Anyways good luck with your coonhound. Where did you get the little fella from?
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4pointhunter
    just got a walker he is 7 weeks old, he is living in the house with us and sleeping in a crate in our bedroom i am a shift worker at a mill so my girlfriend has been training him when i am gone, and i take over when i get home, so sleep has been hard to come by, i am looking for some advice on kennel training and housebreaking!!
    we are also wondering about leaving him home alone, is he gonna bark the whole time he is left in the crate? we live in a new subdivision so neigbors are kinda close.
    does anyone else keep a walker as a pet and have any tips ?
    will things get better as he get older?
    we have a pug and 2 cats in the house also will they continue to get along?
    and will he still be a good hunting dog living with cats?
    thanks
    See this thread for house training info:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8845

A pup is feeling rather shell-shocked when it leaves it's momma and siblings. If you want the pup to feel comfortable in the crate then never use the crate as punishment nor put the pup in it as punishment. I would try putting a warm hotwater bottle in the crate wrapped in a towel, an alarm clock (the noisey wind-up type that ticks) and a stuffed toy / bone or other interesting toy. I've also been known to set a pups crate on my bedside table so that they can see I am there and that there is no need to fret. A blanket over the sides of a crate helps them to feel a bit more den-like too.

If your pup already sleeps in the crate is it really fair to leave him in it during the day? If you want him to like the crate (mine all have crates and they see them as a safe haven not a jail, I don't even have doors on most lol). If you set up an x-pen or such it would provide some amusement safely outside the crate but still contain the pup to a small area. I always provide a bit more space as is earned for not destroying the place Give it things to do when you are gone...those treat balls that you fill with kibble work well, kongs with goodies in them...leave a radio/tv on and don't make a big deal coming or going.

Many a dog owner will cause seperation anxiety by cues eg: keys / shoes / cutesy "bye-byes"....the dog stresses knowing you are leaving and then does something bad out of frustration. In these cases if you find the dog did do something wrong when you arrive home just ignore it (ya I know this is hard) BUT if you make a big deal they, in doggie mind...anitcipate getting shit when you leave so it becomes a snowball effect.

It's not a bad thing to have your pup in the bedroom....it is about fair consistent leadership and an all-around crappy leader will have issues period no matter where the dog sleeps. My "pack" sleeps in the bedroom....without issue of who the leader is because I maintain fair consistent leadership at all times. (doing so when they were pups was really important!)

Cats- I have Alaskan Malamutes, (they are not hunting dogs) but they are notorious furry critter killers (including small dogs & they like cats on white with cheddar lol).
    Again, proper leadership is key...my Mals were NEVER allowed to mess with the cat from day-1. I OWNED THE CAT...he was mine and they were not to mess with him period. As pups the cat kicked some Malamute ass and they never disrespected the cat As part of the pack the cat was respected and left alone. Having a cat in the home never ever stopped them from seeing other cats in the yard / other furry critters as anything less then prey.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

well we are thinking this might have been a bad idea training a puppy, working and raising a 1.5 year old baby is alot of work!
    just wondering if we decide to adopt this puppy out how much intrest there would be for someone to take him?
    maybe $250 obo includeing a brand new electric bark collar

i added a couple more picts in my gallery

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...o=3988&cat=500
    Last edited by 4pointhunter; 12-19-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    .338 sako finnbear deluxe
    .270 WSM tikka T3 lite
    stevens 16g boomstick
    .22 cooey

What's his breeding? UKC? Any other pics?

Quote Originally Posted by 4pointhunter
    maybe $250 obo includeing a brand new electric bark collar
    If you really want a good home for your pup I could take him immediately if you want (I am local to you)

I will not buy him from you but I would have him vetted, altered and find him an excellent screened home with breed experience. (I do dog rescue, helping dogs/people for last 18 years, I don't buy dogs).

You could keep the collar...at 8 weeks old using one is more a cruelty than training. There are citronella collars that are much kinder on wee babies....but even so he is too young for much of that type of thing.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Hey forgot to update... "Little "Trigger" spent like 1 whole day here then got a great foster home thru my firends at Canadian Hound Rescue who gave him some vet care and basic training. He has been adopted into a permanent home for a couple weeks now and is doing GREAT!

Cheers
    Beverly

good to hear

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Just a thought for ya, but kick that hound outside where he belongs, as soon as you can. It's good for them to be out in the cold a fair bit, seems to tuff'n them up. I know when you leave them in the bush overnight that it can't be too warm. As far as the house cat??? I refer to them as "Turkey's" and let that hound have a good chew on him. The only use I have for a house cat is a disposable training tool and not much else. Barking is just one of the joy's of a hound, don't worry it will eventually turn into sweet mountain music. I used to have hounds when I lived in Abbotsford and really didn't care what my neighbors said about noise. Welcome to fun stuff and don't be affraid to let that pup teach you a thing or two about hunt'n. I't takes some time when you don't have older dogs to run with, but let him figure it out and get the taste for "Turkey" and things will work just fine. Are you considering getting Radio Tracking? or are you going to do it the hard way? (The way I started- Running head down trying to keep up)

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    Just a thought for ya, but kick that hound outside where he belongs, as soon as you can. It's good for them to be out in the cold a fair bit, seems to tuff'n them up. I know when you leave them in the bush overnight that it can't be too warm. As far as the house cat??? I refer to them as "Turkey's" and let that hound have a good chew on him. The only use I have for a house cat is a disposable training tool and not much else. Barking is just one of the joy's of a hound, don't worry it will eventually turn into sweet mountain music. I used to have hounds when I lived in Abbotsford and really didn't care what my neighbors said about noise. Welcome to fun stuff and don't be affraid to let that pup teach you a thing or two about hunt'n. I't takes some time when you don't have older dogs to run with, but let him figure it out and get the taste for "Turkey" and things will work just fine. Are you considering getting Radio Tracking? or are you going to do it the hard way? (The way I started- Running head down trying to keep up)
    UMMMM.. .the post 2 above yours, mentions that the pup has found a new home...

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Oops I didn't have time to go threw everyones response. They just wanted an opinion. My Bad.