Thread: My Dog!

My Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano
    P.S. Tell us about your dog!

Chas is a Deutsch Drahthaar (DD) out of German stock.
    http://www.vdd-gna.org/
    They are like many of the German versatile breeds “they do it all” but the DD tends to be just a little more serious about his work than most. As a breed there are few, if any that are still breed to the strict standards set out by the founders. The DD is not a recognized breed in North America and should not be mistaken for the German wirehaired pointer.
    He points, is an excellent water retriever, tongues on rabbits, while running deer they tongue (not sure if Chas does this he has not been or will he ever be trained or allowed to run deer). He does on the other hand bay on a dead deer find. He has a real fondness for fur, which helps us remove a lot of predators from our local marshes in the off-season. He is very good at blood tracking, at six months he tracked a wounded buck for a archer in my community that other wise would have been lost!
    Mixed bag!

Threw the slush for a double of Blacks

Chas caught this fox too far for it's den!
    Last edited by zaconb; 12-13-2006 at 05:54 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My Dog!

Looks like a real well rounded dog fer sure........is he a good family dog too?

Quote Originally Posted by craigchaplin
    Looks like a real well rounded dog fer sure........is he a good family dog too?
    My wife calls him the 80lb lapdog! He has been one of the most devoted and friendly dogs I've owned and I'm happy to say I've had the pleasure of following several bird dogs through the field over the years!

Look at his expression... he's dead serious about everything, I guess? Funny dog!
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

That's some nice looking dog you got there. Very interesting. I have labs because it is a family tradition.
    You take good pictures. Clear in the fore ground and back.
    What are the birds in the first picture (the two in the middle)?
    Is that a floating motion decoy in the second picture?
    Welcome to BC. Too many people moving to this place trying to urbanize our rural traditions. I am afraid of losing our hunting at CowBay. Could use a few more hardcore bird hunters like you.

See ya around.
    Hooked on quack.

I am born and raised in Switzerland in a hunter family. My parents, aunts, uncles and family friends all owned Deutsche Drahthaar (DD). They are the best all around hunting dog period, and as you said, very serious about it too. They excel any other dog breed at blood tracking. Yet they are gentle and make good family dogs too.

Your post brought fond childhood memories back of our family DD hunting dogs. Thanks.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports
    That's some nice looking dog you got there. Very interesting. I have labs because it is a family tradition.
    You take good pictures. Clear in the fore ground and back.
    What are the birds in the first picture (the two in the middle)?
    Is that a floating motion decoy in the second picture?
    Welcome to BC. Too many people moving to this place trying to urbanize our rural traditions. I am afraid of losing our hunting at CowBay. Could use a few more hardcore bird hunters like you.

See ya around.
    Thanks for the complement it's not me it's the camera
    The two birds in the middle are Ruffed Grouse and the decoy is a Mojo floater. I use several different motion decoys depending on water depth, some wind driver and some battery operated.

Your post brought fond childhood memories back of our family DD hunting dogs. Thanks.
    posted by huntwriter

My pleasure, it's always a great to meet a DD man!
    Cheers