Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

What's everyones thoughts on the new proposed quota?

1 a day 2 possession. No harvesting of Halibut over 60lbs. Also a limit of 6 a year. Lets hear your thoughts.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Halibut Quota April 1 2013

I have not read the proposal, do commercial and FN get to keep over 60lbs?. please post a link.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I don't have a problem with the 6 a year. That can be a lot of fish! The problem I have is with the 1 a day, 2 possesion. It costs a lot of money to target the species, with both the charter costs, or personal vessel cost. Sure, knock our personal quota down a ton, but let us catch those 6 fish in a reasonable amount of time! With that said, the whole commercial, sport fishing allotment stinks to high heaven.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

QUOTE: With that said, the whole commercial, sport fishing allotment stinks to high heaven.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. Here's an article I found interesting. http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=7949850

Yes I am curious about the FN and commercial catches. I hope they have been reduced significantly as well ?
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

If the measures are for sustainability reasons, and all involved parties have the same size limit, then so be it. However I'll be damned if I'm going to release anything big if the commercial boats and natives don't have to. I also have no problem with a limit on number of fish per year as one person or one family can only eat so much, but why do guys have to be limited to 1 a day? Even just going back to the 2/day and 3 possession like it was just a few short years ago would be a welcome change.

Unfortunately I'm sure as usual Jimmy will pay off the right people and the rest of us will be able to buy filets from those big halis from his stores...
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    If the measures are for sustainability reasons, and all involved parties have the same size limit, then so be it. However I'll be damned if I'm going to release anything big if the commercial boats and natives don't have to. I also have no problem with a limit on number of fish per year as one person or one family can only eat so much, but why do guys have to be limited to 1 a day? Even just going back to the 2/day and 3 possession like it was just a few short years ago would be a welcome change.

Unfortunately I'm sure as usual Jimmy will pay off the right people and the rest of us will be able to buy filets from those big halis from his stores...

Well sir, i hate to break it to you, but this has nothing to do with sustainability and 100% to do with us rec folks staying within our measily 15% of your total allowable catch that. And yes you will release everyhting over 60lbs or you will be breaking the lawn. This was a brain wave that came from the group that represents us ( or is supposed to) the SFAB. Commercials and FN and kill any hali they want. Rec guys will be throwing back anything over 60lbs this year and only 1 of our 2 in possesion can be over 15lbs. I have said alot on this subject over the last few months, so ill leave it at that but ill link you some reading if you want to catch up a bit on whats been going on.... \

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/...-Let-s-Discuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

BTW we have almost the same amount of pounds allocated to us that we have had for the last 3 years. Yet we are getting restricted more and more with the thought of keeping the season open the longest possible ( which only benefits one user group) and sure as F@$!$@ isnt the rec fisherman.

Granted the people representing our sector were put ina tough spot by the DFO, but they defintely faltered HUGE In there mandate in my opinion. There are some amazing hard working individuals involved in the sfab ground leve, that do this all as volunteers. And thier hard work should be commended, but i feel thier efforts are being undermined by something much more powerful and that is the power of government and $$$. Its time to get back to lobbying and throwing a fit for what is ightfully for ours. The halibut in the water that belongs to each and every canadian and our RIGHT to it. Anyway its best to educate yourself on the subject before weighing in as there is alot to talk about with reagrds to this and its not exactly black and white.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 02-14-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I didn't read it all but appears to be for the most part 45 pages of thoughts similar to mine. Not sure what I can say here that hasn't been said over there. Pretty sad. Do fishing guides make up a large portion of the SFAB?
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    I didn't read it all but appears to be for the most part 45 pages of thoughts similar to mine. Not sure what I can say here that hasn't been said over there. Pretty sad. Do fishing guides make up a large portion of the SFAB?
    No they don,t and i'm not sure how this is good for only the guides? Try telling your guests they can only catch fish under 60lbs when they phone to book a trip for trophy halibut. imo it's good for no one but it's the way it's going to be for this season.