Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need wiring schematic help for my new boat please!!!

need wiring schematic help for my new boat please!!!

So I have installed all my electrical components on the new boat, I know all wire sizes, fuse sizes etc that I need for each component, just not positive how to wire the system together and was wondering if any one had a good wiring diagram for the following

1 cranking battery
    1 deep cycle house battery
    Automatic Charging relay/combiner (for alternator charging)
    Battery charger/inverter (for shore charging)
    battery switch (off/1/2/both) to start off the deep cycle in case of emergency
    distributing power to all electronics from a fusible bus block

I have a bit of an idea how to wire this all up to work properly but not really sure, does anyone have a wiring diagram that could help me out???

Thanks
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

2. Site Sponsor

Re: need wiring schematic help for my new boat please!!!

Chris, I sourced this page when I put the second battery into the boat. I would take a picture for you but the boat is still layed-up in storage.
    http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...alBattery.html
    How big is the boat that you need shore power/inverter. If you're planning some chuck adventures, you might want to talk to Bob Monk and pick his brain.
    I use a solar panel to keep the power up, 30W although I have a bigger one. And I can use either battery for cranking, both are Optima deep cycle marine, 750CCA.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

How big is the boat that you need shore power/inverter
    Hey Dennis, its an 18' smokercraft, but its not the size of the boat, but rather the amount of goodies i will be running off the house battery. A lot of the time on day trips the amount of run time on the main motor will not be enough to keep the batteries topped up so I want to be able to plug in the boat at home so the batteries are topped up for the next time. Plus I'd rather charge with an extension cord than with fuel at $1.40! haha!

Chris
    Emerson

Go with the Blue Seas "Add A Battery" dual circuit system part number 7650. It comes with the battery switch and auto combiner. If you go online, Blue Seas has the instructions available.

For a battery charger, I have had good success with the Professional Mariner ProSport 20 amp, 2 bank chargers. The best thing about them is that they are waterproof and charge the batteries independantly of each other.

CR Cruiser....thats funny, those are the same components I bought!!! I have a pretty good idea how to wire up the combiner and switch alone, also wiring up the shore battery charger is pretty straight forward......just not sure how to wire it all up together when both are present??? Should the shore charger go through the combiner/switch or do I just wire each one in as if the other wasn't even there??? My main concern is if I wire each component as if it were a stand alone, then I am assuming charging current from one source will be going to the other as they will be tied together at the battery terminal....will this be damaging to the component that is not being used at the time??
    I am thinking the shore charger could be wired to the combiner at the same terminals as the wires coming from the alternator. I would guess the combiner doesn't differentiate based on the source of the charging current and should work the same wether its coming from the alternator or the charging inverter......does that sound about right????

Thanks
    Chris
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    CR Cruiser....thats funny, those are the same components I bought!!! I have a pretty good idea how to wire up the combiner and switch alone, also wiring up the shore battery charger is pretty straight forward......just not sure how to wire it all up together when both are present??? Should the shore charger go through the combiner/switch or do I just wire each one in as if the other wasn't even there??? My main concern is if I wire each component as if it were a stand alone, then I am assuming charging current from one source will be going to the other as they will be tied together at the battery terminal....will this be damaging to the component that is not being used at the time??
    I am thinking the shore charger could be wired to the combiner at the same terminals as the wires coming from the alternator. I would guess the combiner doesn't differentiate based on the source of the charging current and should work the same wether its coming from the alternator or the charging inverter......does that sound about right????

Thanks
    Chris
    You could wire your shore charger to charge all batteries at the same time. It is what most do. From what I have noticed, owners experiencing battery problems.

You could wire your shore charger to charge all batteries at the same time. It is what most do. From what I have noticed, owners experiencing battery problems.
    Could you clarify Hopsing.....people who have wired the charger to charge both at the same time have had problems this way or people having battery problems are wiring this way as a remedy?

Thanks
    Chris
    Emerson

Here's a simple way to do most any boat.

Wire both batteries to the battery switch following directions for the switch. Go to Nappa or whatever and buy enough heavy (12, 10 better) guage two strand wire to reach the steering wheel area coming off of the battery switch. Install a marine grade bus bar with enough switched terminals for all of the stuff you want to run plus a couple spares in the dash board area. Hook up the positive wire off of the battery switch to positive on the bus bar and the ground to the ground wire. *install a 20 amp fuse in line somewhere on the positive wire*

Done. Now you just wire each electrical do dad that you have off of its own port in the bus bar installing the appropriate fuse. When you're at the dock or whatever you switch your battery switch to the number that goes to your deep cycle house battery and run all the shit you want. If you kill that one, switch to both on the B switch and you can still start your motor no problemo.

That's the Coles notes version anyways.. always try to keep it as simple as possible
    Last edited by Salty; 03-19-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Could you clarify Hopsing.....people who have wired the charger to charge both at the same time have had problems this way or people having battery problems are wiring this way as a remedy?

Thanks
    Chris
    Any type of charging system will charge the weakest battery. If one of your battery happens to be weak, charger does not know any better. It just keep on charging. Results is, the good battery overheats and shorter life. Mix type batteries also makes a difference.

I hope that clarifies it. If not just ask a specific question.

Try this one. It's got most of what you need. If you can't figure out how to add additional from this schematic you better hire someone else.

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/at...3&d=1237985273
    VEGETARIAN- Ancient Tribal Slang for the Village Idiot who can't Hunt or Fish.