Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester super x steel shot problems?

Winchester super x steel shot problems?

Has anyone had problems with Winchester super x steel shot ? It seems that the primers are pretty hard and just dent without going off. Now I have 20 boxes sitting around that Im not sure will go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I picked up a nice auto 5 last december and would like to use that as my primary duck gun this year. But im not sure there is anyway I can shoot this ammo. Maybe a new spring to make it hit harder? new pin?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winchester super x steel shot problems?

Most likely gun not ammo problem but I have run across a box of expensive older Remington HD shells that dented the primers in one semi but worked fine in my sxs

could be the spring isn't hitting it with enough force or the pin itself has worn down or the clearances have changed over the years
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Thanks Adam. Maybe the old Browning needs a tune up.

My A5 hasn't done that but it has become a single shot when it got real cold out. I know some say the less oil the better for operation, doesn't gum up or slow down.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I shot a lot of super x through my Benelli without fail, however I feel you're pain on the primers not being hit hard enough. I have a Marlin 17hmr that might be better used as a pry bar some days.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

It' an ammo problem, I'll give ya $5.00/box for it and I'm being generous so you better jump on it while I'm in a giving mood! . K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    It' an ammo problem, I'll give ya $5.00/box for it and I'm being generous so you better jump on it while I'm in a giving mood! . K
    Ha, Ha, Kelly!! Nice try. I was wondering who was gonna be first to go after the cheap REDS??? I'm bidding $ 5.50 a box!!
    Cheers---Field Marshal.

you can only kill ducks with Black cloud.

$5.51 a box for the red garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

You ba$t@rd, I knew you'd try and snooker me but I'll even pick them up! One up that one old boy!!! K

haha.....it shoots fine in my other guns :P