Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Target ?

Re: "Best" Target ?

I don`t think you can go wrong with a bulldog. Our club has been shooting 8 once a week for 4 years. they have warmed up 3 indoor shoots and 4 outdoors . They are pretty ratty but new covers and they are like new. All for $ 120.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty-B View Post
    Go to around to all the grocery stores and get all the old recycled plastic grocery bags you can find. Stuff them in a burlap sack like you would find carrying 50 pounds of potatoes. The fuller and harder packed, the better. Shrink wrap, the big plastic bags insulation comes in, 6 or 9 mill poly... any plastic of that type. Pack it hard and use a coat hanger woven through the top to close it. Mine stops all field points from my 70lb EVO. Getting the arrow out is as easy as grabbing it with two fingers and pulling.
    This works surprisingly well, and costs next to nothing.

Best target? My guess would be the guys on the pedophile list?
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Arrow Re: "Best" Target ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty-B View Post
    Go to around to all the grocery stores and get all the old recycled plastic grocery bags you can find. Stuff them in a burlap sack like you would find carrying 50 pounds of potatoes. The fuller and harder packed, the better. Shrink wrap, the big plastic bags insulation comes in, 6 or 9 mill poly... any plastic of that type. Pack it hard and use a coat hanger woven through the top to close it. Mine stops all field points from my 70lb EVO. Getting the arrow out is as easy as grabbing it with two fingers and pulling.
    That works well for compounds and long bows I understand. But with today's Super Heavy crossbows, not so much. I tried that with the Exomax, a 225 lb bow launching 425 grain arrows at 325 fps. The plastic literally melted the shaft into place upon impact. Only tried it a couple times, extraction from the target was excruciating! Methinks the problem was due to the friction of the arrow moving so fast it melted the plastic upon impact. Can't imagine the Matrix, at a 260 pound draw and launching up to 380 fps would realize any improvement on that situation...

Still working on it. For now (bow won't even be here for a few weeks yet...) we got an oversized feed bag from my Farmer Buddy, cutting that in half and re-stitching it so it will have double walls, and filling it tightly with denim and other old cloth material. Will be 3 feet thick when completed - likely overkill, but dammit I want to STOP those expensive arrows in their tracks! Methinks that will suffice until we collect a "real" target sometime down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    Best target? My guess would be the guys on the pedophile list?
    As soon as they announce a "Season" I am ALL IN!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    That works well for compounds and long bows I understand. But with today's Super Heavy crossbows, not so much. I tried that with the Exomax, a 225 lb bow launching 425 grain arrows at 325 fps. The plastic literally melted the shaft into place upon impact. Only tried it a couple times, extraction from the target was excruciating! Methinks the problem was due to the friction of the arrow moving so fast it melted the plastic upon impact. Can't imagine the Matrix, at a 260 pound draw and launching up to 380 fps would realize any improvement on that situation...

Still working on it. For now (bow won't even be here for a few weeks yet...) we got an oversized feed bag from my Farmer Buddy, cutting that in half and re-stitching it so it will have double walls, and filling it tightly with denim and other old cloth material. Will be 3 feet thick when completed - likely overkill, but dammit I want to STOP those expensive arrows in their tracks! Methinks that will suffice until we collect a "real" target sometime down the road...

As soon as they announce a "Season" I am ALL IN!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    My bag stops crossbow bolts from my buddy's new Excalibur as easily as the arrows coming off of my bow. Pack the plastic, or whatever medium, tight and let'er fly. If the placstic starts to get soft, pound her down again and you're good as new. I shoot mine a couple hours a week all year and have only had to pound it down once each season. As The Dude pointed out, it is also free. I'm sure rags or old clothing would be just as effective, albeit quite a bit heavier to lug around.
    Attention vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

As earlier mentioned, the 'block' products work very well, but what ever you do, don't use normal Styrofoam for stopping high velocity arrows because it will melt
    severely onto your shafts.

Rinehart makes lots of awesome targets. Check out their Rhinoblock XL

Pack a bag full of old jeans, cut off the zippers and any metal first. Lots of thrift stores have 2dollar or 5 dollar a bag days, reuse it sheds at dumps always have piles of clothes for free

The blue on my bolt here is from shooting into styrofoam which is why I made the bag
    Son of a Birch,, Life time BC resident hunter.

The block or rhinehart products are also good, although a little hard to pull at times.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

We have a decent archery range at the Mission Rod and Gun club. At the far end they have bales of straw to accommodate 60 yd+ shots.
    When complaining about the sticky residue sticking to some arrows I had shot into Styrofoam to a senior archer, he advised shooting them
    into the wet bales of straw to clean them. It works very well.