Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Target ?

Question "Best" Target ?

For the past two years I have simply made do with a bag target backed by a large block of compressed peat moss. Worked well with the Ibex, but the Exomax, with it's much heavier draw strength, rapidly chewed that up - complete pass-throughs of the bag and barely being stopped by the peat became the general rule.

Now I am soon to have an even heavier / faster crossbow in my hands (Matrix 380). Time has come to investigate what is out there to stop the arrows out of this Beast, last for a LOT of shots, and isn't overly tough to remove arrows from.

The Matrix generates in excess of 110 pounds of kinetic energy traveling at 380 feet per second. Asking lots for any target block to withstand repetitive torture of this nature, but I am hoping those with experience here might have a suggestion or two...
    Trying to find one that will last at least a year...

Any and all thoughts / advice Appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Best" Target ?

rinehart has a block (18-1) probs.your best bet
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...archery-target

Link to old thread on home made target. Still works good have just slipped a new bag on every now and then. My parker shoots at 345 fps and is very easy bolt removal. Not to good for broadheads, have to untie bag to take out, but for field points works great. I also pack it in my vehicle when hunting to unload bow when I am done.
    Son of a Birch,, Life time BC resident hunter.

Go to around to all the grocery stores and get all the old recycled plastic grocery bags you can find. Stuff them in a burlap sack like you would find carrying 50 pounds of potatoes. The fuller and harder packed, the better. Shrink wrap, the big plastic bags insulation comes in, 6 or 9 mill poly... any plastic of that type. Pack it hard and use a coat hanger woven through the top to close it. Mine stops all field points from my 70lb EVO. Getting the arrow out is as easy as grabbing it with two fingers and pulling.
    Attention vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I bought a large 'block' target several years ago made out of thin layers of polyplastic foam material. It is approx. 24"x24"x12" and the sheets are held in their stacked and compressed position by perimeter plywood and metal straps. It is fairly heavy and cumbersome to move around, but it has stood up to literally thousands of shots and is still in great shape. The new models have the sheets fused together, eliminating the need for the plywood and metal straps which lowers the overall weight and also does a better job of keeping the sheets in place. You can shoot at both front and back. They also make a bigger, square model that you can shoot at all sides. They are fairly expensive, but will most definitely outlast other products, and most importantly, will handle very fast and/or heavy arrows.
    (I don't know how long they will stand up to broadheads though)

yer just rubbin it in about the new excaliber
    so how is it???
    there lots of different kinds of quality xbow targets out there.. when i use my ibex i like to set up the target (square blk from crappy tire) in front of a huge sand hill, cuz ive lost lots of arrows to just dissappear underground or into bush on a miss

I have a Block and it works well. http://www.blocktarget.com/ What size do you want? Watch for pm on pricing later today.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I am liking the Hips brand of targets lately .... I have pounded the hell out of mine and its still going good ....
    www.hipstargets.com
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I have the Block and they are awesome.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I also have a Block, got it last year and couldn't be happier wiht it. Use to stuff burlap with plastic bags, but when your shootin lots it falls appart fast.