Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1oz loads and ducks?

Re: 1oz loads and ducks?

Some great advice here as far as gun fit goes as this is a key element to less felt recoil. That being said I shot my reloaded 1oz #2's at ducks for years with exelant results so don't discount 1 oz loads. Try to get them in at least 1550 fps and you will have no problems killing ducks
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

I think the point is being missed with the shot weight issue. The main factor of recoil from the shells perspective (or so I've always been told) is velosity. ie a 1oz load being pushed at 1550 will have as much or more felt recoil as a 1.25 oz load being pushed at say 1400 fps. So imo you would be better off shooting 1.25 oz 1400s than 1550 1oz for not only the felt recoul factor but also as a new shooter putting more pellets in the pattern.
    Here's an interesting link I found on recoil. I'm not saying its gospel but it does bear out what I have always been told.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks for all the advice guys. We went hunting on sunday and put a dozen or so rounds through her gun and she felt great after. We ending up going with a limbsaver that slips over top, but I think I will go buy her the one that permanently attaches to get the stock back down to the length that fits her. We also used federal 1 1/16oz loads and seemed great. Now we just need to work on our aim so we can actually bring back some ducks.

Paul

Gotta love those Limbsavers. Can the stock just be cut down a bit?

I went with the "Precision Fit" Limbsaver. Took the other back. The install was fairly easy. Took about a half hour and two beers, and the length is back to the original............ so she is happy!

Just a side note I shoot a 20 gauge at ducks when geese are closed 7/8 .oz. steel through a browning 20 auto,actually shoot it better than my beretta as it is lighter the muzzle jump is significantly less as is the recoil. Only mod. is a wad wizard extended choke,kills everything dead dead. And bogman shoots AT ducks,the filling the bag limit is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Just a side note I shoot a 20 gauge at ducks when geese are closed 7/8 .oz. steel through a browning 20 auto,actually shoot it better than my beretta as it is lighter the muzzle jump is significantly less as is the recoil. Only mod. is a wad wizard extended choke,kills everything dead dead. And bogman shoots AT ducks,the filling the bag limit is another story...
    And I was going to invite you up for the next goose slaughter , now , not so much. Well maybe, bring the 20 we'll see how you do
    Pull the trigger all the way back.