Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1oz loads and ducks?

1oz loads and ducks?

Hey guys, Merry Christmas!,

Quick question, My sister-in-law in shooting a Mossberg 500 Bantam 12ga. She is experiencing recoil that is leaving her shoulder in pain. Last weekend she was shooting Winchester BS 3" #2 1 1/4. What are the best options for shells for her to get the recoil down, but also still be able to take down ducks? We are gonna go and get her a recoil pad she can put under her clothes for her shoulder as a start, but I am curious if lighter loads or shell size could also help with the situation.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1oz loads and ducks?

Hi and a Merry Christmas to you too!
    Not sure what she has on that 500 now for a recoil pad but one like a "Limbsaver" or similar will go a long way toward fixing the recoil issue. Also, make sure she is mounting the gun correctly on her shoulder. There are lots of good 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 oz loads out there that are more than sufficient for killing ducks. I've shot the Winchester 1oz loads in the past for ducks and they have been fine.....just understand they have limitations and don't try stretching your shots with them. Good Luck, J

I used 1 oz steel loads in the past with #2,3 and 4's for ducks and they worked fine. Find a load that patterns well and you should be good to go.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

how big is she? 12 ga bantam is probabky whomping her. also needs to fit, most important. there are lots of ducks unable to complain about 7/8's oz out of my 20ga.

simple tests, hold the gun with the stock in the crook of your arm, trigger shouk be right around your firt knuckle on the triggger finger. test 2, mou t the gun, your nose and your thumb (grippping the stock) should be about 1" apart.

lastly, cheap shells tend to whomp more then premium.

damn samsung.....pm me if you want, have played this game with my wife and daughter

very best,

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    how big is she? 12 ga bantam is probabky whomping her. also needs to fit, most important. there are lots of ducks unable to complain about 7/8's oz out of my 20ga.

simple tests, hold the gun with the stock in the crook of your arm, trigger shouk be right around your firt knuckle on the triggger finger. test 2, mou t the gun, your nose and your thumb (grippping the stock) should be about 1" apart.

lastly, cheap shells tend to whomp more then premium.
    # 1..... BE SURE THE GUN FITS.....just because its a youth gun doesnt guarantee it will fit a smaller woman. Find a gunsmith or someone who knows and is experienced and have the fir checked. A lot of factors come into play other than LOP drop, offset etc. If she is "scrinching" around to try to pick up the line of sight she is not setteling the stock properly = OUCH.

#2 a good Limbsaver pad there are other brands but I am partial to the Limbsaver.

#3 go to a 2.75 "3 shell just because a gun CAN shoot a 3.5 or 3" shell doesn't mean it has to.

All these will help but Fit is the most important by far
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks for all the help guys,

She is 5' 8", about 135lbs. She has just the stock pad that came with the gun. I have also been looking on youtube and found some great videos
    on proper sizing, making sure she is shooting with the corect domminent eye...........etc

But please keep any info coming. This site has been great for me.
    The knowlage and wealth of info from all the members is great....................and the openness to share is info is awesome.

Thanks again guys

Paul

My daughter is 5'6", 120lbs. She is shooting an 870 12 ga. On some good advice I got, I cut down the wood stock and put a slip-on Limbsaver pad on it. These are the softest pads we could find. She can handle 3" mag loads of 00 buckshot, allthough not enjoyable. After shooting those, she says even my goose medicine (3" mag. BB) feels easy with no pain. I didn't force her to do this and I worked her up to it slowly starting with target loads. We hunt sometimes for muley bucks where we have to use shotguns, and she says it would be worth the recoil to take one. We looked at the shoulder pads also, but my daughter didn't like how bulky they are.
    Happy New Year
    Last edited by KTownKiller; 12-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.

2.75" 1oz steel loads in #2 are scarce but can occasionally be found e.g. Federal Speed-shok Waterfowl Load (blue box).

Your idea of a strap-on recoil pad is worth trying too. I like the "Past Recoil Shield"-Google it or they are also available at certain big box hunting stores (that are not HBC sponsors).

I do not feel there is any reason to restrict her to a 1 oz. load. As previously suggested fit is everything. My lovely wife is about the same size, 5'9" and 125lbs. she shoots a number of 12 bores, and shells up to and including the new 3 1/2" 1600+fps Kents. with no trouble. However shotguns have all been custom fitted. As for shells 2 3/4" mau be the ticket but a standard 1 1/8-1 1/4 should be fine if the gun fits and has a decent recoil pad, hers are all Limbsaver grind to fit.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!