Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 deer hunting

Re: 2007 deer hunting

The last time I checked the SK regs(online like ours), I found that the open season for non-residents was only 1 week in November. Add to that that there is still no Sunday hunting allowed and it tends to limit your options. I have hunted my uncle's property in the south and found it to be quite different and challenging. Good luck.

Re: 2007 deer hunting

I have been over to Saskatchewan twice and will likely return next year. We were a group of 3 and none of us has harvested a monster over there yet, so it's no gimme. We saw some big guys, but just couldn't get shots. We ended up taking meat bucks near the end of the trip, which were still decent 4 and 5 points.

In all honesty finding huntable land is no issue. We were primarily hunting with local residents, however me and my dad did go out on our own a bit and decided to ask people for permission. One guy told us flat out "if a landowner doesn't have his land posted around here, he fully expects guys will be going in there and hunting, its just the way it is". Even our local "guides" had some good land that they didn't post. One of their hunts was actually ruined by someone they didn't know driving through their patch, but they just shrugged it off. Basically, they didn't care if people they didn't know hunted on their land, and they also took us onto property in which they didn't know the owners.

From my experience, as long as you are respectful, nobody is going to care if you are hunting non-posted land. It's always a good idea to stop in at any farmhouse you come across and let the people know you are in the area, and ask if they have any concerns. Also, you really have to go early and scout things out and map which fields are posted and which ones aren't.

I think alot of guys get into trouble because they see a monster out in the middle of a field while driving around, start to panic, don't see any signs close by and shoot. Only to find a "no trespassing" sign 100 yards further down. But by all means, if you come across a big buck on land that you know isn't posted, let him have it. I remember one of the local residents we were with blasted a nice one while we were driving around. I asked him who owned the land, since it was only 10 minutes from his house I figured he'd know, and he told me he had no clue, and that nobody would care.
    Last edited by ARC; 12-15-2006 at 10:37 AM.