Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Trail help needed

Re: Blood Trail help needed

Keep us informed.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    If you got one lung and the arrow fell out, there would be blood on the arrow. No blood on the arrow usually means a peripheral hit.

The pic with the blood drizzled in a sharp line looks like a low, small vein and the spray is when he hits the ground hard and the blood on his fur shakes off.

Hair stuck in the vanes means the arrow passed through. No blood means not through vitals.

Does the arrow feel greasy?

Hopefully you get lucky and get your first archery buck. Don't give up yet.
    Arrow doesn't feel greasy and the first photos of sprayed blood are of where I could see him and he never hit the ground in those spots.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

I'll post more tomorrow, hopefully with some photos of him as well.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Looks like you hit him up front judging by the last pic, lots of blood there, he's gotta bleed out from that one. Looks like you might have slashed him. I hope you can pick up the track again. Good luck.

My opinion I don't think you hit the plural cavity. The traces of blood look more in the front and centre of his mass I might think low brisket hit or with the small streamer of blood you have and the light spray low front of the neck shot. Any cougars in the area? They would likely find it before you do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    i'd say you hit a lung.
    it's kinda hard to see the blood spray very clearly though.
    he's leaking no matter what.

i take it you haven't found him?
    you didn't really mention.
    how do you get lung outa that blood ...i dont see no foamy blood or air bubbles ...

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    Arrow doesn't feel greasy and the first photos of sprayed blood are of where I could see him and he never hit the ground in those spots.
    If it's not greasy, it's probably neck. By hitting the ground hard , I meant with his feet, not his body. I should have said that better.

Good luck tomorrow. If he keeps moving he may keep bleeding, but as others have said, the coyotes will be on that trail real quick. Best blood trailers in the business.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

without seeing where the arrow went in you will only be guessing where he was hit..unless the blood was foammy or you were there to look closely at blood coulor..

for all u no ..he way only have a grazed wound ...ive seen alot more blood than that before and deer was never located

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Striksfromabove View Post
    Looks like a dark veinous type blood trail, lung blood should be quite a bit lighter and frothy. If you didn't happen to see where your arrow hit the sound you heard was probably a shoulder blade hit. Regardless he's bleeding quite well and shouldn't go far if you haven't found him year. If you can I always back off for a period of hours if the hit is marginal. Even leaving him overnight might be okay with the cold weather. Better than continually pushing him out of beds. Since he is bedding down right away I would suggest he's not going far. Hey at least you have tracking snow, on the Island here rain usually washes bloodtrails away very quickly. Good luck in your search !
    I agree. If you hit soft tissue, you wouldn't have heard a thud similar to what you describe as 'hitting a tree'. You also said there was hair stuck on the vanes, but no blood on the shaft. You also said that you found the arrow beyond where the deer was hit, so it's not likely you hit the heavy part of the shoulder. If you hit the shoulder plate or glanced off a leg and the arrow passed through, hopefully the blades cut an artery or vein big enough for him to eventually bleed out. Because it's on snow, it looks like a lot of blood, but it's really not that heavy. You should still have some blood to follow for quite a ways though, unless you ended up following the wrong tracks.

hotload is going to bring his dog tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the thoughts and help.