Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Trail help needed

Re: Blood Trail help needed

"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    No blood on the arrow, no deer in the freezer.

Likely just clipped him and it's a superficial wound and a little blood on the snow looks like a lot. Looks like dark blood, as well, not from lungs. If you'd hit shoulder or leg bone and the arrow had bounced back, you probably wouldn't have dirt on the broadhead.
    How far did you trail him in the snow?

No range finder?
    good point.
    i forgot that there was no blood on the arrow.

and i was thinking those sprays looked like they may have been from the deer snorting up blood.
    but if he was just nicked, i guess he's maybe just bleeding.
    strange that he was walking strangely and bedding down shortly though.
    and if he was bleeding from the mouth, it has to be more than just a superficial wound.
    i'd say get out tomorrow in the light and have a thorough search of the area.
    shitty though, they are calling for a heavy snowfall.
    good luck.

I am assuming that you have hit one lung. You said it looked like he was bleeding from his mouth.ung must of been involved or there would be no way that blood is coming out of his mouth..

Go back to where you last saw him, start doing big arcs from that last point, til you find the right tracks with blood. Go very slowly so you don't get confused by the tracks. Take a roll of bright flagging tape and put a small piece down everytime you find blood...

I think he is dead, you just have to follow the right path, til you find him...

If I was you, I would have a bite to eat, get a buddy and go back and search tonight, by flaslight or headlamp.. I would be concerned about the snow covering his tracks or the coyotes eating it before you you get back therr in the morning...
    Last edited by rocksteady; 12-16-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

i hope u find ur deer looks like hes leaking good
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

take a rifle with you tomorrow.
    fair chance you might find some coyotes nearby, if not on your deer.

Wish I had help but best I can do is spend the day out there tomorrow.

This is the bed he made last.

I realize now I should have stayed and watched him rather then back off, as soon as he stood I could have put another one in him.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

The amount of blood spray doesn't make sense given the arrow wasn't covered in blood over the entire length. That's blood either spraying out of the chest cavity(heart shot) or spraying out of the mouth. Could have been a neck shot hitting vertebrae or facial bones but usually hitting the backbone makes them drop instantly. If it was a heart/lung shot he'd likely be dead by now. How long did you wait until you tracked him the second time? Shoulder hit would make the loud thwack sound you heard but arrow should penetrate and stay logged in animal and break off at some point if it doesn't pass through. Regardless you would see blood on the arrow. Makes me think it was a nicking neck shot that clipped the esophagus and he's clearing the blood out of his wind pipe. Wish I was there to help you out! Good luck!

Just saw you last post photo and all the blood is at the region of his bed where his head and neck would be confirming to me that it was a head or high neck shot which explains the blood sprays in the snow as he was clearing his airway as it filled with blood. Judging but the amount of blood I'd say you clipped a major vein regardless and should find him when you start tracking again.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I am assuming that you have hit one lung.
    If you got one lung and the arrow fell out, there would be blood on the arrow. No blood on the arrow usually means a peripheral hit.

The pic with the blood drizzled in a sharp line looks like a low, small vein and the spray is when he hits the ground hard and the blood on his fur shakes off.

Hair stuck in the vanes means the arrow passed through. No blood means not through vitals.

Does the arrow feel greasy?

Hopefully you get lucky and get your first archery buck. Don't give up yet.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

I made a couple of calls probably 20-30 minutes before I headed back out. It wasn't a shoulder hit the arrow was found beyond where he stood.