Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Trail help needed

Blood Trail help needed

I was out today and had what I judged a 30 yard broadside shot on a WT buck late this afternoon. I let the shot fly and heard a thud, sounded like I pegged a tree but the buck turned and ran up the hill. He didn't go maybe 75 yards and it appeared he was having trouble and wasn't sure if he should continue up hill or come back down.

I watched him carry on a little ways and lost sight of him so I went to where he stood and looked for my arrow. There is was in the dirt with no a speck of blood but a few hairs stuck in the vanes. Thought I maybe missed high or low but I was sure he looked hurt so I began to look for signs of blood.

Nothing at first then 25-30 yards and I see this

I continue and see more

"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blood Trail help needed

any idea where the arrow entered

i'd say you hit a lung.
    it's kinda hard to see the blood spray very clearly though.
    he's leaking no matter what.

i take it you haven't found him?
    you didn't really mention.

NO, more blood and more blood then I spot him, he sees me but he is bedded down and looks to be bleeding from the mouth and I figured it's just a matter of time. So I backed off to let him quietly pass.

Make a couple of calls and pat myself on the back for my first big game bow kill.

Head back up the hill where he bedded and he's gone and I spot another bed just 10 feet away but he's gotten up from there and disappeared. So many tracks in the area I don't know which are his and the blood has stopped.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

ive seen leg shots fling blood around before.. hard to tell its a lung shot unless see bubbling blood around.
    - on the good side i see snow in the pix- as long as it doesnt snow anymore overnite, you will find him.
    good luck- it happends!

No blood on the arrow, no deer in the freezer.

Likely just clipped him and it's a superficial wound and a little blood on the snow looks like a lot. Looks like dark blood, as well, not from lungs. If you'd hit shoulder or leg bone and the arrow had bounced back, you probably wouldn't have dirt on the broadhead.
    How far did you trail him in the snow?

No range finder?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Keep trying to post more photos and info but this web site sucks sometimes.

If I could get the last photo up it looked like he was bleeding from the mouth based on where the blood was in relation to how he was bedded.

I know blood can look worst then it is.
    Last edited by igojuone; 12-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

If it was bleeding from the mouth you did not nick it. The light spray on the snow I would have thought from lung, unless blood on face was from licking wounds on belly ?
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Looks like a dark veinous type blood trail, lung blood should be quite a bit lighter and frothy. If you didn't happen to see where your arrow hit the sound you heard was probably a shoulder blade hit. Regardless he's bleeding quite well and shouldn't go far if you haven't found him year. If you can I always back off for a period of hours if the hit is marginal. Even leaving him overnight might be okay with the cold weather. Better than continually pushing him out of beds. Since he is bedding down right away I would suggest he's not going far. Hey at least you have tracking snow, on the Island here rain usually washes bloodtrails away very quickly. Good luck in your search !

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    NO, more blood and more blood then I spot him, he sees me but he is bedded down and looks to be bleeding from the mouth and I figured it's just a matter of time. So I backed off to let him quietly pass.

Make a couple of calls and pat myself on the back for my first big game bow kill.

Head back up the hill where he bedded and he's gone and I spot another bed just 10 feet away but he's gotten up from there and disappeared. So many tracks in the area I don't know which are his and the blood has stopped.
    Its not lung blood , if it was he'd be dead in the bed.He probably 'shook' like a wet dog. He laid down 'that' quick , he's hurting.hopefully it doesnt snow over night , he'll be laying down again right quick , hopefully he gets stiff and too sore to start travelling. Trail him like he's alive and you might get a finnishing shot in on him tomarrow.