Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper Tuning

Paper Tuning

I have been into archery for almost 2 years and finally feel comfortable enough to paper tune my bow. Problem is that the person I get my advice from told me today that its not that beneficial. He says that most people paper tune at 5yds and at this range the fletchings haven't had a chance to stabalize the arrows flight. As I was about to do this very thing in my basement (don't tell my old lady!) I was wondering if I would be wasting my time. Guess my question is; is there a certain range I should be tuning at?
    “Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me. Prepare it just the way I like it so it is savory and good, and bring it here for me to eat.” 27th chapter of the book of Genesis

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Paper Tuning

"People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

i just paper tuned my bow and it was very beneficail. i did it at about six feet and my fixed blade broadheads and field points shoot the same, out to 70 yards. probably further but thats where i stopped shooting. i think at 5 yards the flech would start to stableize, but i am a beginer at this as well. i was told to do it at six feet and thats where i did it, and it worked awesome. although it did take me quite a few hours.

The reason you paper tune at about 6 feet is BECAUSE the fletching has not stabilized the arrow. I'd have to draw a pic to explain it properly but trust me it works and it's well worth the effort.

'yote

Paper tuning is a waste of time unless you are dead serious target archer. I've done a tone of research on it and if you feel you need to do it then by all means spend the time on it. Not needed in most cases. This is my opinion and I mainly shoot target archery.

If you want learn more about arrows and the proper spine. If you use a PC get archers advantage and check your arrows out with your bow and see if they are spined properly. Once I spent the time with this software my arrows started to perform the way they should, perfectly. Secondly do the walk back tune method. If you have properly spined arrows and your walk back tune is dead on your arrows will be set up perfectly. Only thing I am not mentioning is that your nock is set a touch high or perfectly level. I am assuming you already know that.

Good luck which ever way you choose.
    Success = Marry the right person, this single decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas111 View Post
    Paper tuning is a waste of time unless you are dead serious target archer. I've done a tone of research on it and if you feel you need to do it then by all means spend the time on it. Not needed in most cases. This is my opinion and I mainly shoot target archery.

If you want learn more about arrows and the proper spine. If you use a PC get archers advantage and check your arrows out with your bow and see if they are spined properly. Once I spent the time with this software my arrows started to perform the way they should, perfectly. Secondly do the walk back tune method. If you have properly spined arrows and your walk back tune is dead on your arrows will be set up perfectly. Only thing I am not mentioning is that your nock is set a touch high or perfectly level. I am assuming you already know that.

Yep ... what he said ...Unless your of the caliber to count X-rings in Vegas ... Paper tuning is generally a waste of time

Its far more benificial to walkback tune
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Yep ... what he said ...Unless your of the caliber to count X-rings in Vegas ... Paper tuning is generally a waste of time

Its far more benificial to walkback tune
    my broadheads dont ffly the same and my groups were not as good when i just walk back tuned my bow. i dont agree that paper tuning should only be needed for competition shooting. you should have your bow shooting as best it possibly can if you want to hunt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
    my broadheads dont ffly the same and my groups were not as good when i just walk back tuned my bow. i dont agree that paper tuning should only be needed for competition shooting. you should have your bow shooting as best it possibly can if you want to hunt with it.
    To each his own. Some people swear by it but I just don't find the need to do it with a hunting bow. Plus my hunting bow fletching are helical and not really accurate with paper tuning. Then we can go into a whole other gammit of how you paper tune. For example, how far away you stand and do you shoot one arrow at close range through paper then the next one at 20 yards?

There is too many variables in paper tuning. Plus with a hunting bow we are trying to hit a 6" pie plate at 50 yards. With my target bow I am shooting a 6" circle at 90 meters.

I am not saying that paper tuning is a bad thing. All I am saying is it is over kill for hunting. Just my opinion.

Regards
    Success = Marry the right person, this single decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas111 View Post

No methed of tuning is a waste of time. The more you tune the more you learn about your bow and your own shooting style.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

In a lot of cases the broadhead will not fly the same as a field point because of flaws in the archers form and technique. If you can repeatedly make the exact same release, aim, and anchor points then it might be beneficial. However, most people that bow hunt do not shoot enough to be capable of this. For those that have a sight level, try shooting level and out of level to see how it affects the broadhead. Also try punching the release and squeezing, or gripping the bow slightly atypical from your normal target grip. These are all things that in the heat of the moment in the field will affect your broadhead flight. Sometimes it is important to remember to keep a calm approach when hunting in the field. I would almost say that broadhead tuning should be a mental training regime to help focus and perform repeatable steps until the arrow is released. I am relatively new to bow hunting, but I have realized that in the field it is a whole new ball game. The adrenaline rush you get from bowhunting is second to none. When you draw back for the first time it will feel like your heart is climbing out your throat and you are about to shit yourself. You will be shaking like a dog shitting razor blades. It is inevitable.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."