Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5-13c

5-13c

Thanks and any local knowlege is greatly appreciated.

OK, after doing some map checking, my best guess would be to try the Michelle-Bazeko road (just past Nazko). Just be careful of some of the roads turning left off this road as some of them will take you back into 5-13A. The 4100 and 4200 do this if I remember correctly but I believe they all have signs posted nowadays. Best advice i can give you is to cover as much ground as possible checking slashes, swamps etc....and stay out ALL day, with the rut on or approaching they will be moving all day. I would say at least half the moose I have taken or been in on have been taken between 10am and 2 pm.

GOOD LUCK!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

5-13c

so... do you sit and call, or just keep moving?What's the country like-open, forested,mountainous, or rolling?I' m taking a double wheel barrow with just the frame, hopefully that will help with packing should we connect-I tried to get a proper game cart but couldn't get one in time

ratherbefishin...... as far as how to get your moose it all depends on what you want out of the hunt. Calling etc. is certainly going to be more exciting if it works. But in my experience your best chance to take your moose is going to be driving around all day, checking cut block after cut block. Not very exciting, but highly effective here. As far as recovering your moose I would suggest a snatch block and as much heavy rope as you can get....pull it up to the road with the truck!

Again, good luck and feel free to throw out any other questions you might have!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

5-13c

thanks for the advice-we're off tonight on the 7 pm boat , hope to drive upas far as Lytton, then get going early tomorrow morning-if my information is correct we should get to Fishpot lake sometime tomorrow afternoon, all being well.We're both looking forward to a good week together, a safe trip, hopefully to see some wildlife, and if the right opportunity presents itself, to take an annimal-[ hopefully a nice fat 3 year old bull]but if we don't, the trip won;t be a failure if that;s all we lack.I'll probably pack my fishing rod too.
    My old friend Dr.John McIntyre[ a surgeon in Quesnel back inthe mid 70's and 80's] loved to hunt this area .John passed away 5 years ago next week.His widow, Lise, who still resides here was his OR nurse.

5-13c

well, we had a great week, saw 6 cows but no bulls,so didn't take anything.Lots of grouse[ we took 20] bears[the one we would have taken took off before we could get into range and it was evening]Fishpot lake is unresevedly recommended-great place

I'm guessing you went too early. They weren't rutting otherwise you would have seen some bulls if you saw cows. That area is best hunted around mid October. I find it easier to call 'em out and one time we brought one out that had a hard on. What a way to go!

5-13c

yah, I now know that- mid October would have been better- but these LEH draws you have to choose up to October 1 , or after that- and I took the early hunt-figured the rut would be on.I heard a cow calling so it's probably started, but I wish I'd be going this week than last.Too bad, too, because I understand the chances of getting a successful draw are limited for the following 2 years, then you get priority again.

u can still get drawn again next year your odds are just reduced....keep applying either way....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer