Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Braised Venison Shanks

Re: Braised Venison Shanks

Okay so I found a left over portion of lower hind leg from my stone ram in the freezer that I had forgotten about. I tried this recipe and was happy with the result.
    It got me thinking about this meal in camp using a Dutch oven. However fresh rosemary may or may not last being frozen in the bottom of a pack box after 7-10 days. Has anybody used mountain balsam in place of rosemary and how did it end up?

By the way I checked the original link that Iron Noggin posted and saw their was a recipe for Bear Osso Buncombe that should result in a dead bear or two this spring.

Thumbs up Re: Braised Venison Shanks

Happy that turned out well with the ram. Nice to know!

Never tried this in a camp / Dutch Oven, but that's a hell of a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    ... By the way I checked the original link that IronNoggin posted and saw their was a recipe for Bear Osso Buncombe that should result in a dead bear or two this spring.
    Ah Man... you can't do that without posting the link!

http://honest-food.net/osso-buco-recipe/

And after that, you are quite likely right on the bear.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

And auto correct strikes again. LOL.

Thanks for posting the right link.

Too funny, after the first try in the crock pot my hunting partner and I immediately knew we needed a Dutch oven to make fresh braised shanks in camp.

Brad

Shank meat is my very favorite part of the animal right now ( closely followed by heart and tounge). A long slow braise with herbs and wine, or in a traditional stew recipe. For the big bull moose I got this year they needed a full 4 hours to become melt tender. Looking forward to bear shanks this spring!

Going to be tough to brown a moose shank, but this is in the works for dinner tomorrow
    2 shanks in a roasting pan, wondering how much liquid to use, partial cover or submerge?
    might soak for a day first
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Arrow Re: Braised Venison Shanks

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Going to be tough to brown a moose shank, but this is in the works for dinner tomorrow
    2 shanks in a roasting pan, wondering how much liquid to use, partial cover or submerge?
    might soak for a day first
    I actually have both a roaster, and a monster deep dish fry pan that could handle the browning aspect rather well.
    Be interested in how you deal with it...

I strongly suggest NOT to submerge. You are making shanks, not stew.
    In fact when I do this, there is little more than an inch and 1/2 or so of liquid in the bottom of the pan.
    Don't know what benefit soaking overnight would bring unless a marinade base with something in it (wine, lemon juice, vinegar) to help break it down some.

Low and slow on the heat is your friend.

Let us know how it turns out.

And thanks for bringing this back to the top.
    Very much think I'll be doing either lamb or whitetail shanks tomorrow as a consequence.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Put some beer or wine in and cover. The liquid will tenderize the shank and lots of herbs. Good luck should be Fantastic

Thinking of brining for a few hours at least, will benefit the red meat , not sure how it will help the chewy bits , will do one

First will be a simple hunter broth, onion garlic beer s&p

Second will be wine with a healthy dose of pickling spice blend and maybe a dash of smoke
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I don't see a need to brine a shank. Braising will take care of the chewy bits in a nice way.