Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braised Venison Shanks

Thumbs up Braised Venison Shanks

I've always just cut the meat off these to toss in the sausage pile.
    But one of my Buddies tried this out, and claims it was Awesome!
    He did suggest a little lower heat over a longer period of time than noted in the recipe.
    Literally Melts in your Mouth is the word!

Given that I have a pretty good pile of sausage material (the whole muley buck) and took a young whitetail doe, methinks I will definitely be trying this recipe out! That young doe should be Uber-Delicious cooked up this way methinks!

http://honest-food.net/2012/11/11/br...recipe-garlic/

Just thought I'd share for anyone looking to try something a little different with this cut...

Letcha know how ours turns out...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Braised Venison Shanks

Boy Nog that sure does look good, going to try making it.
    Last edited by dragonslayer; 12-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Man you gotta try Osso Bucco and serve it with Rissotto! F'ing awesome!

Some of my chef friend usually braise their deer shanks as well. They are just fine!

absolutely- I did some moose shanks,and they are delicious-one tip-NEVER throw out pickle juice when you finish the jar-I use it so many ways-including diluting and using for braising

I also used to put the shanks in the sausage pile. But after making Osso Bucco a few years back I keep all the shanks from Deer,Moose etc.It's a great winter dinner plus if you put red/white wine in your recipe.you get the bonus of having a glass while your supper cooks.
    Last edited by northcoastfun; 12-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    No animals were hurt in the making of this video...just cooked up good and tasty !

Thanks Nog. Sounds great!
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

it is good i alwese save the shank i think its the best part when its hot,, funny how everone makes it into mince till they someone tells them to try it,, its very tasty,,

That looks amazing. heading to Texeda shortly for a couple late season does. I know what im doing with them!

Thumbs up Re: Braised Venison Shanks

Decided to give this one another try last night, and it turned out Damn Good!

So, decided to post the slightly modified recipe I now use...

Braised Venison Shanks

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
    4 venison shanks
    4 heads of garlic, peeled
    Salt
    1.5 cups white wine (a California Pinot Grigio in this case)
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    2 teaspoons marjoram
    Lemon peel from whole lemon finely grated
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3/4 pound of fresh mushrooms
    1 teaspoon of Garlic Plus spice

Method:

Take the shanks out of the fridge, coat them in a little oil and salt them well.

Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Heat the butter in a roaster and brown the shanks on every side but the one with the “shin,” where the bone shows clearly — if you brown this part, the shank is more likely to fall apart before you want it to. Remove the shanks as they brown and set aside.

While the shanks are browning, peel the garlic. Think it’s a pain in the ass to peel 4 plus heads of garlic? Try this trick:

Works Deadly!! I'll never use another method for garlic again!

Put the garlic in the roaster and brown a little. Pour in the white wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Bring this to a boil and add the chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and lemon peel. Bring to a simmer and add salt to taste (if desired). Return the shanks to the pot and arrange “shin” side up with the garlic all around them. Cover the pot and cook in the oven until the meat wants to fall off the bone, anywhere from two to 3 hours.

Slice mushrooms and add to buttered frying pan with Garlic Plus to marinade on top of stove. I set this on the burner that allows some heat to transfer up through, and they did not require any further cooking after 2.5 hours.

Carefully remove the shanks and arrange on a baking sheet. Turn the oven to 400°F. Remove a decent handful of the nicest garlic cloves and set aside.

Puree the sauce in a blender, mix in the unsalted butter and pour the sauce into a small pot to keep warm on the stove.

Paint the shanks with some of the sauce and put them in the oven. Paint every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, or until there is a nice glaze on the shanks. To serve, give everyone some mashed potatoes, veggie of choice, and a shank. Pour some sauce over everything and garnish with the roasted garlic cloves and mushrooms.

Add in your favorite veggies and wine, and Walla! A Meal VERY Much Fit For a King!

Results:

Shanks this time were from a young Blacktail, and turned out Melt In Your Mouth FANTASTIC!!

Methinks I'll be keeping this recipe on hand...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 02-04-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me