Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethics... is taking a tough shot REALLY that bad?

Re: Ethics... is taking a tough shot REALLY that bad?

Pretty sure a 'Hail Mary' shot is one where you hope you are going to hit something, somewhere, but have no real chance other than a guess, blind luck, or the fact that you sent a bullet.... I've taken a few of those in the past at coyotes and wolves, and connected on a few, and missed a few.

I've never taken a Hail Mary at a big game animal, but I have taken quite a few long range shots, quite a few hard quartering shots, and I am absolute murder on running game. That said, I've never sent a bullet at a big game animal where I wasn't 100% positive I was going to land it where I wanted it.

(Not saying I've never missed, but I've always been confident the shot was going to go where it was supposed to.....) Knowing when your trigger is going to break, and knowing where your crosshairs were when the gun went off go a long ways towards being a confident, skilled shooter.

Humans have a unique ability to rationalize their poor choices. This would be one of those situations. The idea that scavengers might find and benefit from my inability to do my job does not give me the right to harvest game irresponsibly. Hunting is considered a right - but, in light of our current political climate, is actually more of a privilege. I, for one, do not want to risk that right under any circumstance; especially through poor ethical decisions that may cause animals undue suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by festerstix View Post
    Humans have a unique ability to rationalize their poor choices. This would be one of those situations. The idea that scavengers might find and benefit from my inability to do my job does not give me the right to harvest game irresponsibly. Hunting is considered a right - but, in light of our current political climate, is actually more of a privilege. I, for one, do not want to risk that right under any circumstance; especially through poor ethical decisions that may cause animals undue suffering.
    X2 Amen to that !

Say a trophy buck is standing at a tree line hundred yards away only offering the Texas heart shot he won't turn broad side he's going to walk straight into the bush soon do you take the shot?

A guy on a hunting show I watched did and it dropped but I was surprised he took the shot on tv

Quote Originally Posted by festerstix View Post
    Thank you for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rides bike to work View Post
    Say a trophy buck is standing at a tree line hundred yards away only offering the Texas heart shot he won't turn broad side he's going to walk straight into the bush soon do you take the shot?

A guy on a hunting show I watched did and it dropped but I was surprised he took the shot on tv
    Depends on the gun.
    Last edited by 300; 12-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300 View Post
    I'm curious to see what peoples take on running shots, bad angle shots etc. Lets say a hunter takes one of these shots and gut shoots the animal, can't find it, but obviously the animal will soon die.
    Now a pack of wolves, grizz, etc. comes upon the dead animal and eats it. Fills them up for a few days, and therefore saves another animals life because they have no need for food until they are hungry again. Soooo.. where was an animal wasted? In my eyes it was all part of the cycle? Kind of like a life for a life. What are your takes on this?

and then people use that carcass as another example that the wolves are killing everything and must be destroyed.

using the fact that other animals will gain from your mistake doesn't make it right.
    i've let many great animals walk because i didn't have the shot.
    there's no reason for unethical anything when hunting and fishing.
    what kind of example is that setting?

Quote Originally Posted by 300 View Post
    I'm curious to see what peoples take on running shots, bad angle shots etc. Lets say a hunter takes one of these shots and gut shoots the animal, can't find it, but obviously the animal will soon die.
    Now a pack of wolves, grizz, etc. comes upon the dead animal and eats it. Fills them up for a few days, and therefore saves another animals life because they have no need for food until they are hungry again. Soooo.. where was an animal wasted? In my eyes it was all part of the cycle? Kind of like a life for a life. What are your takes on this?
    Did you cut your tag?
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    and then people use that carcass as another example that the wolves are killing everything and must be destroyed.

using the fact that other animals will gain from your mistake doesn't make it right.
    i've let many great animals walk because i didn't have the shot.
    there's no reason for unethical anything when hunting and fishing.
    what kind of example is that setting?
    Read the question carefully.. if that dead deer saves another one from being killed... there is still the same amount of carcasses assumed to be killed by wolves.
    I am not trying to make an excuse, I am trying to get at the root of why it is considered wrong by many people to take a tough shot. Because if there reason for it being 'wrong' is that the animal will rot away and be wasted, it must be questioned as that animal will be eaten and used for energy. I also know that I would rather be shot and die than ripped apart by a pack of wolves, unless of course I was killed instantly by the wolves. No offense is intended.. I'm just trying to make sense of peoples reasoning.

So is wing shooting of bird game also considered unethical?
    Just curious.