Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow Season Whitetails

Bow Season Whitetails

Well the season is coming to a close and the end of bow season is just around the corner. Not sure if we're going to be able to get out to Goat Mountain this year for the end of December but we'll see haha. Anyways we set out for a few days of hard whitetail hunting in region 8 in persuit for a couple nice whities.

My dad was the first to take down a nice 5x5 whitetail with great mass and an awsome greatest spread of 20" with the bow. After a hard morning of seeing several does he decided to tough it out for a few more hours, little did he know what his buck had in store for him. My pops just took a swig of his tea when he heard a few rocks tumblin down the hill he had his back turned towards. Sure enough a nice big bodied animal was sneaking by him on the rock side of his blind. Dad turned around and stuck the wide 5x5 with a 35 yard shot piercing both lungs and dropped the somewhat sneaky buck in his tracks. One clean shot and a very commendable kill. (I'll try to load the pic of this buck)

Next was onto my older brother who has hammered a lot of big whitetails in this perticular area in the past. He had been holding off all rifle season and most of the late bow season in persuite of a monster. Well lets just say he got a very very nice buck. Night was coming in and he hadn't seen anything but a few dink bucks and a ton of does and fawns, sure he was getting a bit ancy but his patients paid off. From the same blind my pops shot his 5x5 from my brother dropped this gnarly 6x5 whitie at 30 yard with his bow. The picture is a bit small but the brow tines are split with a kicker 3rd browtine off the left g1. Looks crazy in person with a 3D look and reaches an awsome 12"s in length. Beauty buck that forsure, great mass and an impresive width.

Ok now it's my turn to poke a decent buck with the bow. After cycling through our blinds it was my turn to trade off with my oldest brother for the blind in which both my middle brother adn dad had takent ehre bucks from I set up, cocked my bow and settled in for a long and cold evening hunt. Not even 45minutes into my wait out of the corner of my eye i spotted a very wide buck. Coming closer i was debating weather or not i'd take it as the season was drawing to a close. Sure enough the buck wandered right in on the middle migration trail and i put my bow up and placed an awsome shot right above the should, through heart, and deep into the animal. (head on shot at 25yars) needless to say the buck dropped not even 10 yards away from the spot where he had been shot. I knew i hit him good and heard him crash so i let him sit for 20 minutes or so and made the walk up. Sure enough there here was. I lifted up his rack and wow a nice 5x4 buck with a wicked width of 23"s

We are still in persuit for another buck for my oldest brother as i do owe him for kickin him out of the blind haha. Anyways Congrats to everyone and hope you all had a great season and good luck with all your predetor hunts etc. cheers all. Blaker99
    Last edited by blaker_99; 07-25-2007 at 12:57 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

WoodOx Guest

Re: Bow Season Whitetails

Love those tall browtines.

Congrats on three great bucks blake. Didnt get the pic of your bros workin?

-ANdrew

hey andrew, the pics are mine and my brothers. the pic of my dad was took large so im choppin it etc. then going to add it. cheers bud.

Those are both beauty deer! Let's see the other one. I see you shot em' with a crossbow.(excaliber, if I'm right?) They must be fun to shoot. Thinkin' about getting on myself.
    It falls down & goes blah

hey blake buddy dont lie... i know u hot those with your truck haha....good work man... it all paid off!

ohhhh dave if only i could have your luck hey??? do you shi8t horseshoes? pretty sure you do ahha anyways you and i both had a great year congrats on the hard work. As for the bow...yes another excalibur exo max kill. We now own 3 of these bows and they shoot an unbelievable group with great consistancy*. it sure was a blast to take a nice wide whitetail with a bow. cheers.

Great pics and Story, what Cross Bow are you using?

Great story. I'd like to point out to everyone before they go out to buy a bow that the limit for bucks in the region 8 bow season is 1. On page 87 it says 2(1) Then on page 86 it explains what this means. The bag limit for whitetail is 2, with only 1 of each sex allowed.

If you shot a buck with your rifle you can only shoot a doe in the late bow only season, is this correct?

I am not 100% sure if the buck was shot in another region maybe you could shoot a buck in region 8 in the bow season. Before I would I would for sure seek clarification. But it does say for sure you can only take 1 buck in region 8 with a bow.