Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladner

Re: Ladner

I failed to say I don't see how a test in a pool or lake has any bearing on wearing waders in and around the delta? The area discussed is known for people going out for the day hunting and being found weeks later dredged up in fishing nets and the sort. It's a very easy place to lose your bearing as the tide comes up and take a different than planned route back. You fall into a good hole over 6 feet and your main concern isn't how well you float but what restricts you from pulling your feet from the mud so that you can get your mouth above water. Fall in the river on the other hand and your biggest problem is drag and current. Waders make you bigger/heavier=more drag and current beating on you as you try to make it to safety. This along with lack of mobility makes getting to the shore or over the side of the boat almost impossible. I fell overboard trying grab a downed bird once. Although I had neoprenes on with a safety belt, it was almost impossible to get back into the boat and yes I had a helping hand thankfully! Had I been alone I would be posting this from the pearly gates. I will gladly take you out in the Delta marsh in my 12' and you can put this "theory" to test...of course I'll bring my hd video camera along so as to not leave the forum followers to wonder what your fate was. Wellington point park Ladner, you name the time

Quote Originally Posted by MFERGIE View Post
    I failed to say I don't see how a test in a pool or lake has any bearing on wearing waders in and around the delta? The area discussed is known for people going out for the day hunting and being found weeks later dredged up in fishing nets and the sort. It's a very easy place to lose your bearing as the tide comes up and take a different than planned route back. You fall into a good hole over 6 feet and your main concern isn't how well you float but what restricts you from pulling your feet from the mud so that you can get your mouth above water. Fall in the river on the other hand and your biggest problem is drag and current. Waders make you bigger/heavier=more drag and current beating on you as you try to make it to safety. This along with lack of mobility makes getting to the shore or over the side of the boat almost impossible. I fell overboard trying grab a downed bird once. Although I had neoprenes on with a safety belt, it was almost impossible to get back into the boat and yes I had a helping hand thankfully! Had I been alone I would be posting this from the pearly gates. I will gladly take you out in the Delta marsh in my 12' and you can put this "theory" to test...of course I'll bring my hd video camera along so as to not leave the forum followers to wonder what your fate was. Wellington point park Ladner, you name the time

Sounds like a plan - lets do it!

I'll bring my 12' along, so between the two - I may end up suspended like a turd on the video, or you may just end up buying the beers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Yes, be careful out there when it low tide. Those ditch are deceiving looking. Being there and never again.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Kudu your one funny sob! Your suspended like a turd comment will have me chuckling all day!

Also if your a walker you have to account for a heavy when wet jacket (walmart special, fine in rain but fall in "oh fak") and a day pack full of decoys and some batteries for the robos. Then that gumbo thick mud is always fun. Best advice, don't hunt alone and be careful. I wear the neoprene waders and surprised by a ditch twice, both times I got out wet but without extra help. But it only takes one time and some bad luck for that to be your last trip out.

Has anyone been out lately? With all the recent snow and cold weather?