Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting without Robos'

Hunting without Robos'

Remember those days? I am thinking of turning the clock back a bit. I bet alot of hunters would be alot less successful if they had to really "hunt" there birds. Dont get me wrong we run 3 evertime we are out. And when the field is full we are usually done as fast as we want to be.

2 hunts ago, both the robos we were hunting over died during the hunt. And all of sudden, we had to really work for the birds. It took proper calling, no face showing, and a great hide to finish the deal ( we actually had to re-stubble the blinds) And this was ina traffic field next to over 2000 ducks. Although i love robo's there seems to bea growing trend of people that cant call, dont understand decoy placement, have no clue how to hide, and will never get better because robo's bail them out. Thoughts?

Would you still kill as many if you didnt have robotica?

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting without Robos'

Interesting, I hope this wont create the divisions felt between rifle and bow or compound and traditional etc.
    i know theyve made me much more successful and lazier for sure. We hunt night flight so decoys in fields are quite non-visible.

Hey Lorne, sometimes I find robo less duck works better. It depends on hunting situation, if the ducks seen lots robo ducks they become more decoy shy and I find toward the end season less decoy plus minus robo duck work the best for me.

Try using dirty dozen snow honkers (geese) those ducks can spot your decoy spread a mile away......hint.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

You mean I'd actually have to hide. With ten minutes left on a fowl weather day I stand right beside my robo. Feels like star wars.

Very good question! Last Friday afternoon the wind kicked up so at about 3PM I headed across the road from work and set up. I had 3 dozen mallard shells and a Mojo
    out but it took me about 30 mins to kill the first mallard, and there was 100's of birds on the move. I noticed that they were all flaring at about 30 yds from the decoys which kinda puzzled me as I was dug in very good, they weren't seeing me for sure. I pulled the Mojo 10 mins after the first bird and proceeded to finish the last 7 mallards in 25 or 30 mins. These birds knew the program! Seems every year these birds get a little wiser as the season progresses. K

both my mojos are on remote somedays i need to shut off right after the ducks give first look at my spread or big flare.

Ahhhhhh sounds like a carving forum now!

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    both my mojos are on remote somedays i need to shut off right after the ducks give first look at my spread or big flare.
    That is a fact sometime they will flare ducks no question in my mind, not always but as the season wears on ducks start to figure those ducks that hover forever and never land are bad medicine. I have actually shut them down and left them sit with the color side of the wings in a glise position and bingo the fortunes turn around and the ducks start coming in who can figure the willey duck
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

got my limit Monday with 2 dozen Deeks only, no mojo's clear skies made for a tough go but managed tro limit
    "We solemly promise never to let down on quality, the customer is entitled to a square deal!"
    Markus 'Fred' Leupold

It's like every type of hunting. When you get good at it, you start making it more challenging by doing things like only targeting 4 points, or in this case taking away the robo duck.
    I personally do well and have never used a roboduck. To me it seems like a useless piece of equipment except to help newbies get into the sport.