Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flambeau decoys

Re: Flambeau decoys

with geese... resters/sleepers and feeders should make up the majority of the inner flock. Sentries should be few out around the edges.

All birds should be for the most part facing the wind. Also when I'm setting up. I pace out 40 yards and that's where my furthest decoy goes. If the wind is blowing east to west say... I have my decoys a little east of my blind. That way when they come in to land they're landing right in front of you.

Why would you put all or even most of your decoys facing the wind? And why only sentries around the edges? Not saying its wrong or right just curious.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 12-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by orcabait View Post
    Wow. Thanks guys, that is a good bunch of info that I did not expect.
    I think I have been making the error of putting the decoys perhaps too close together in small water ponds in the field. I will try to space them out a bit and make a better landing area. We have been concealing ourselves in the drainage ditches near the ponds and sometimes we are a bit too far from where they are landing beyond the decoys. I have 2 robo ducks on order and I would imagine they will take some of the attention from me. I have a few really green hunters with me and I think they don't quite get it when I tell them to be still and don't show them the whites of your eyes.
    Thanks again guys.
    The robo will help you that's for sure. I started the season with just 12 stormfront decoys and I was have 4-5 duck days. Once I got the robo it was great, added movement to my spred helped to pull ducks in. Just make sure you got a properly set spred.
    Last edited by Jelvis; Yesterday at 10:24 PM. Reason: ATTENTION: YOUR HONEY HOLE has been JEL ZEROED

" A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and full of shit!"

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Why would you put all or even most of your decoys facing the wind? And why only sentries around the edges? Not saying its wrong or right just curious.
    Birds land into the wind... so if most(not all) are facing into the wind, when the birds come in they see the backs and the head giving off more of a duck/goose shaped profile instead of a blob profile. And from what I've found most birds feed into the wind. Just my theory that seems to work for me.

And yeah I guess I did kind of word it a little weird about the sentries. I do have them scattered in the main flock as well. This is mainly with geese. Ducks I'm not as picky about.